5/8 Tiger straight razor wedge with barbers point

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Stroker, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Picked up this "Tiger" straight today. I have heard the name and there are a number of Gentlemen on the forum that have this brand. I would like to get some information as to the manufacturer (Sheffield, Dovo) ??? that made these razors. It appears to be pretty old I'd guess around 1920's (?) It was in pretty rough shape when I got it from the Antique Store and the edge was good but very dull. I didn't think I'd be able to get a good edge on it but with some cleanup and honing and stropping it took a VERY keen edge. This thing is sharper than my double hollow grinds! Does anyone have any info???? Thanks! :cool:

Attached Files:

2. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

The stamping looks identical to a Tiger that I have; manufactured in N.Y. by Geneva.

3. Stroker

Thanks Chris! Do you have any idea as to the date of manufacture? It looks like about 1920's to me but I'm just guessing. I'm going to give it a try for this mornings shave. Never used a wedge before so I'm curious as to the feel of it. Thanks again for your help with the provenance of this razor. BTW, your razor collection is awesome! I look forward to seeing your SOTD photos and the "razor of the day" that's in them. Great photos and very interesting subject matter.

4. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

My guess would be the 20's also; I've got the box and it appears to be from that era. The wedge may take a stroke or 2 to get used to if your accustomed to hollows. No feedback, you think it's not cutting until you touch your face and there's nothing there. I like the little wedges, 5/8 or 9/16. Fun stuff. GL

5. Stroker

Thanks Chris. BUMP my SOTD Wednesday. I tried the Tiger but I need to put a keener edge on it. I understand what you mean about the lack of feedback. Got a much better sense of what the Emco double hollow was doing than with the wedge. The wedge really felt wickedly sharp against my skin when I started the stroke but didn't get a lot of cutting action. I kept the blade almost flat against my skin but I'm not sure if that was the problem or not. (?) This is really frustrating but, fun as well. Thanks again! :D

6. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

My Frederick Reynolds wedge (the one I call the Chopper) was an absolute PITA to get sharp. It took an initial hone, a touch up hone and an absolute butload of stropping before this thing began to render good shaves. It's deceptive though because it just doesn't feel as sharp as a hollow ground. I'd say, "Jeez man this thing is nowhere near as sharp as the Boker" then it would give me a BBS shave and I was kinda forced to ignore the fact that it didn't feel as sharp or give the feedback of a hollow ground.

7. Stroker

Thanks for the kind words and support GI. I worked on the wedge a little more today after the morning shave. I thought it was really sharp but I'm sure it will get even sharper with this additional honing and stropping. It's kind of hard to tell how keen an edge I'm getting without trying it with a shave but right now my neck is on fire from this mornings mutilations! :D

I think I'll switch to the 5/8 Mehaz Soligen double hollow and try to develop my technique and learn the proper approach for the grain direction of my beard. After I get that's down I'll try the Tiger wedge again. (I really want to use the Tiger wedge as my go to straight razor.) That will give me more time to work on the Tiger's edge. It has a wicked feel when I put it on my neck and it really demands respect! :D