50s gillette blue blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by King camp, Dec 2, 2012.

1. King camp

King camp Well-Known Member

I will be getting these in the mail in a while but before I use them I would like to know does anyone have any experience with these if so is it good or bad I hear the first pass tugs but that they will give a bbs shave

Attached Files:

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Congrats on your new blades, I have yet to try them but I know a lot of other people have, you will have to post a pic of them in 'The Haul' when you recieve them;)

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

They're an excellent blade but made of carbon steel...which has minus and plus.

On the minus side, they'll tend to pull at your beard more than most modern stainless blades, which some of us don't mind since they still shave well. They'll also rust quickly if not treated right (99% alcohol dunk works for me).

On the plus side, being carbon, they can be rehoned and stropped to maintain the edge (and even improve it sometimes) whereas stainless pretty much can't be. This means that, in theory, you can get much more mileage out of a carbon blade than out of a stainless.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. King camp

Alpla444 do you know if I'm am allowed to send blades in envelopes through Canada post if its allowed I could send you a couple to try

Gorgo you say to dip them in alcohol before storage I have heard of that and of people dipping them in oil too you say that blade life can be extended have you tried this yourself what would you need and if it gives satisfactory results is it worthwhile ?

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I've had blades mailed to me from Canada and I have also sent some there, from the US.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've never bothered with oil dips, though it would serve the same purpose. 99% alcohol is all I use; it removes all residual water instantly and forestalls rust. If you have really hard water, as I do, I suppose it could help remove microscopic mineral deposits from the edges of stainless blades, too.

Whichever you use, it will prolong the life of your carbon blades. A small jar with a lid is all you'll need.

7. King camp

I don't believe I've seen 99% alcohol what I have is 50% should I seek a stronger type

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It should work fine. Since the point is to remove all water from the blade as soon as you can, you could even do what guys did in the old days - just wipe it on a dry cloth before storing it away. But then you've got to figure out a way of storing loose blades, or reload it into the razor for next time.

Dunking in something water repellant or water dispersing is simply quicker and easier. Rinse the razor, dunk it, let it dry. Done!

9. King camp

Here they are they were made the first quarter of 1957 Ill see how they do as they are way older then me image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

That's a nice batch of Blues. I hope you enjoy them.

11. King camp

Yes 400 I've only used a blade twice but I like it better then the wilkinson sword blades I tried first as the shave is the closest I have ever gotten with two passes ill try it for a third time later today and ill see how many good shaves they will each give they do pull but it's a good pull in my opinion i have dunked in alcohol then dried them off as suggested I just bought these as a trial and they did good so I bought five more cases all the seller had left along with three cases of vintage gillette stainless blades ill post pics when they arrive

I've got a question though obviously there is not a endless supply of these is there a carbon steel blade still being made and if so does it shave similar to these

12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Treet makes a carbon steel blade. I don't know how it shaves, but I've seen them listed. Check razorbladesandmore.com for them.

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Nice haul. I've got about 1,200 NOS Super Blues from 1962 or 3, I can't remember at the moment. They were coated in Silicone, dipped in mineral oil and then stored in a garage in the original factory storage container for the next 60 years. The container had rust in a few spots, and was covered in dust, but the blades were in better than NOS shape, due, mostly I feel, to the fact that they were coated in oil. I like carbon blades, but then again, I have the correct tools to keep them sharp for a long time. Look up my Shake Sharp Razor thread sometime.

King camp likes this.
  14. King camp

These are in dispensers but they have a lot of oil on them too the boxes are a little banged up but everything inside looks like it just came from the factory I used a blade for the third time today and that's the max amount I'd use them for as they seem to dull pretty fast

How long does the shake sharp extend the life

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And another carbon blade lover is born. Warms me 'eart, it does. :)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's the carbon edge wearing down. That you got three shaves out of it is impressive...there are modern stainless blades for which three shaves is the limit.

Since you have such an impressive stock and are enjoying them, I would heartily recommend you looking up the Shake Sharp. Short of that, just stropping it on your inner arm or pants leg can make a difference. Try that before you ditch your next blade.

In honor of you, King, I'm breaking out a carbon blade tonight...I haven't cracked that box in some time.

King camp likes this.
  17. King camp

I said I used it not that it was good. The first two times it was excellent it was acceptable for a third but by no means as close. I will try stropping the next one as recommended oh and enjoy that shave.

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I sent it off to three people to try. 5 people had originally signed on, 1 begged off as he didn't have the time to review it, the other (gorgo) ended up getting one before his turn rolled around. I included about 30-35 Super blues, and each person had the razor for about two or three weeks. They got at least two weeks worth of shaves out of one blade and as far as I know, only pitched the blade because they wanted to try other blades in the razor.

The manufacturer claimed 100 shaves from one blade. I would say that you could get at least 30 shaves out of a blade. At that point, you would need to clean the razor and flip the blade over to expose the fresh edge.:D I'm probably exaggerating, but not by much.

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Nope, not by much at all.