6 inch Osborn No. 6 576 walnut series brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Hthomas, May 9, 2014.

1. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

I know this seems crazy but I've started using this old horsehair paintbrush as a shaving brush. This brush can whip just about anything into a lather. It has a great deal of backbone and water holding capability. This exfoliates as it applies[​IMG] lather to your face. I'm really liking this brush.

2. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

This one is a 6 inch Osborn No. 6 576 walnut series mixed horsehair and pure undyed bristles, whatever that means.

Anybody know anything about these brushes?

3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I know nothing, how big of a knot is a #6?

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

O.K. Gents, here is the information on the brush and the knot sizes.

http://www.osborn.com/usa/en/products/part-search-results.html?m=ps&c=576

#4 = 1.000" diameter =25 mm diameter

#5 = 1.125" diameter =28 mm diameter

#6 = 1.250" diameter = 31 mm diameter

#7 = 1.375 " diameter = 35 mm diameter

#8 = 1.500" diameter = 38 mm diameter

"Mixed horsehair and pure undyed bristles" means that some of the hair is horsehair and the rest is hog bristles.

ObiDon, oscar11 and Hthomas like this.
  5. BJV

BJV Active Member

This at first sounded like something Michael Scott (The Office) might try, but after I looked into the brush, it's striking me as not just a novel addition to my rotation, but downright do-able!

6. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

I gota say I'm like it a lot. You do need to soak it a little longer than smaller brushes.
    It is the Lather King. I swear it can whip anything into a lather.
    If you can find one, it is really wonderful.

7. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

Sa

Thanks for the info and link.I appreciate the knowledge found here in this fourm.

The lady I bought this from, called this a "horsehair knott". I've since researched and found it to be approx 33% horsehair. The brush has amazing backbone and it's kinda scratchy and soft at the same time.

This one has a black walnut handle with gold metallic lettering. It's a comfortable attractive brush. I love repurposing things...

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. Hthomas

Hthomas New Member

Just an update;

I've been using this wonderful brush daily for about 2 1/2 weeks . It has gotten even softer . I love it even more! This brush is unique. I've never used a brush like this before. It can whip a lather out of non-lathering shave cream. It does not improve the quality of the cream, just the lather.
    One concern is the center of the tight 1 1/4" knot takes more than a day to dry. This can't be good. I guess I should put it in rotation.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301181845593?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE
    I think this one is just too big! 6 1/2 inches long, but 2 1/2" in diameter.
    What do you guys think?