60X LED Microscope for Blade Inspection

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Oct 9, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I picked up one of these several weeks form ebay (from China):
    'Currency Detecting With LED Microscope 60X' and it arrived in the mail a couple for days ago. I used it for the first time today while honing a razor.[​IMG]

In the past I've used an illuminated loupe (30x) and this loupe really makes a BIG difference in my being able to see the bevel progress during the honing. Here is my 30x loupe shown next to this new microscope.
    [​IMG]

The LED microscope has a telescoping lens barrel which allow the user to adjust the focus. I found it easier to keep the eye lens (the black part in the photo below) flush with the base unit (wearing glasses makes it awkward with the barrel extended). The battery compartment and LED unit are attached to the microscope by an adjustable hinge, so you can angle the light where needed.
    [​IMG]
    The microscope has a two-way switch: one way turns on the blue 'currency detecting' light…
    [​IMG]
    ..while the other way illuminates two bright LEDS:
    [​IMG]

The 60x magnification is VERY helpful. With it I am able to detect how smooth the bevel is, the width up and down the blade, and see detail and scratch patterns I was missing under the 30x loupe.

Since I dont have a way to capture my view through this little microscope, I created this image which simulates the type of view I was getting while working on the blade edge.
    [​IMG]

This little microscope is going to be a regular pat of my honing process. :happy088:
    Not a bad value for $9.98 shipped! I bought two, just to have one for back up.

Kizurra, Ceferguson, Omelmad and 8 others like this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Yep I have one of those too, they work rather well once you get the squared away and get past the awkward stages of using it :p

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

That's a top tip!

Just ordered one myself.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Awkward, indeed. At first I thought it was just me with the gimpy hand…..;)

5. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

I just got the one you used to use in the mail from China yesterday ... Haha I'm following in your footsteps wise masta !!!!

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Both will work, but the 60X is pretty sweet!

7. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

Movin on up :)

8. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I picked up a cheapy usb microscope a few years ago when I wanted to learn to sharpen my knives.

It really makes a huge difference in being able to see the edge.

Mine is something like this one. IIRC, I paid about $25 for it.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BLTX62/?tag=thshde-20

gssixgun likes this.
  11. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    I like those little USB's

I use them to send pics of edge issues to some of my customers now, they work pretty darn easy at least IMHO :)

PanChango and HolyRollah like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Easy is good….:happy088: I like it when technology enhances an experience, and not make it more difficult….

gssixgun and PanChango like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

So cool! Very creative..

14. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Wow! Vindication! I'm not the only one who has been doing this. I have a 30X LED as well that i keep nearby when sharpening my knives.

15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I need something like this. I have been thinking of a Loupe but??

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A regular loupe does the job, but these little LED tools make it a WHOLE lot easier to see the progress.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I see several vendors on there from over yonder, which one did you use

19. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Very cool, have fun.

20. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Here are the links to the ones I buy, just a hint here the batteries here in the US cost more then the units through amazon so I order these 3-4 at a time

http://www.amazon.com/Illuminated-Jewelers-Loupe-40x-25mm-Lighting/dp/B007GJJRZC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1413001933&sr=8-10&keywords=lighted loupe

http://www.amazon.com/Innoo-Jewellery-Lighted-Magnifier-Microscope/dp/B007TSBHEE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413002103&sr=8-2&keywords=lighted 60x magnifier

watch the prices these were the first two I found tonight, so shop harder for better prices with shipping etc: