7 O'clock Roundup

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by burningdarkness, Jan 7, 2009.

1. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

I recently received a Gillette 7 O'clock sampler compliments of Bong.

I will detail my progression through the blades he sent in this thread. I typically use Astra Superior Platinum and Feather DE blades in my HD.

I used the SharpEdge (yellow pack) for the first time today in my go to DE, the Merkur HD. I shaved with Tabac, which always gives me a good shave. Unfortunately, I experienced some tugging during the shave. No weepers to speak of, but a little bit more of a burn when I splashed on my Speick aftershave than I'm accustomed to. Hours later, I can feel that I got a little bit of razor burn (something I haven't experienced in a long time). I didn't get a very close shave today. Lots of stubble remained.

I will try the Green Permasharp Stainless tomorrow.

The Black Super Platinum and the Green Super Stainless are also waiting to be tested.

2. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

If anyone has experiences with these blades that they'd like to share, please do.

3. JimR

JimR Active Member

These are my go-to blades. I use them almost exclusively now, and I love them.

The yellows, to me, seem a tiny bit sharper and more aggressive than the Green PermaSharps. The blacks, to me, are almost like a Feather, VERY sharp, and apt to cut/abrade with little warning. Conversely, the greens, while still sharp, are a little smoother and gentler. On the "Feather" scale, the Yellows are just a bit under the blacks, and just above the Greens. I have to say, at this point, I am almost certain the Greens PermaSharps are my favorite blade.

I have not tried the Russian Super Stainless ones...I heard they are uncoated, and a little rough because of it.

4. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I tried the yellow pack sharp edge and got the same results as you Dom. This was in my slant. I have used them in slim adjustables and they worked quite well.

5. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

My original plan was to try each blade out in the HD, then try them out in the Gillette Old.

I think I might change my plan and use the old with the SharpEdge tomorrow.

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I have tried three of the 7 O'Clock blades: the greens (PermaSharp), yellows (SharpEdge) and the blacks (Super Platinums).

The greens and yellows have been tried in my 1959 Fatboy on the same setting. I found that the greens tug and pull a little more than I like. The yellows tugged much less, if at all - they seemed much shaper to me. Both were very smooth though, not rough like I find the Feather to be.

The yellows and blacks have been tried in my 1965 Slim Adjustable on the same setting. I think the Slim is a bit more aggressive than the Fatboy. Both are set on #4. The Slim is new to me, only a few shaves with it so far. The yellows seemed to tug just the tiniest bit more in the Slim than the Fatboy, but still a great shave. The blacks seemed to me to be even more sharp than the yellows, I think as sharp as a Feather. Super smooth, too. So far, I've only had one shave with the blacks, though, and that was yesterday. Look for an update today. I have yet to try a Feather in my Slim.

On a side note, and maybe I'll take a pic to demonstrate, but the Slim's head has a much....more shallow?.... of a curve to it than the Fatboy. The Fatboy's head is more domed, while the Slim's is flatter. Hope that makes sense....

I doubt I will try the Super Stainless (also green, I believe?) if it is uncoated. Uncoated doesn't seem to agree with me. At least, that's the reason I was given why the Red IP was horrible for me. I was told it was uncoated.....don't really know if it's true or not, but it seems to make sense..

EDIT: removed....duh, I need to pay attention...

7. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

My experience pretty well matches yours. I won't type it all up again :D

Regards.

J

8. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Used the same blade again this morning again with Tabac soap and Speick aftershave splash.

Loaded the blade into my Gillette Old. Definitely a better shave than yesterday, but not by much.

9. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Yo..............yo !

Glad to see ya round these parts :eatdrink047

I just got some of the Yellers last week and am gonna rotate them in to replace Feathers (in my less aggressive-type razors).
    Only tried 1 once and it was very good.

Im glad to have another choice that is fairly easy to access.

10. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Day 2 with the Super Platinum (black) was great. Felt like Day 1. No nicks, cuts, burn, trouble of any sort. I'll keep this one going until it feels done, then I'll try the yellow again.

I'm going to agree with JimR in that these are probably the sharpest out of the three, probably as sharp as a Feather (IMO). However, I find them to be smooth, too, unlike the Feather.

It's still early yet, we'll see.

11. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

I just found the 'new posts' button, so hopefully I'll be able to participate a bit more. It soothes my inherent laziness :)

:eatdrink004

Cheers.

J

12. JimR

JimR Active Member

Yeah, I seem to remember we've been through this before...in another place, at another time. ;)

13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black)

Day 3 - used in 1959 Fatboy, great shave, blade still sharp and smooth..

Day 4 - used in 1959 Fatboy, starting to notice loss of sharpness and smoothness

Day 5 - used in 1959 Fatboy, should have tossed it at least after Day 3, definitely after Day 4.

This was the first of these blades I've ever used. I'm excited to use another to see if the results are consistent. But for me, I find this blade sharper than the yellow SharpEdge, almost as sharp as, if not as sharp as, a Feather, but with the smoothness of the SharpEdge.

14. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Wow. Didn't realize I forgot to post my last shave.

Used the Green Permasharp Stainless on Friday night in my HD.

Used Tabac soap and Speick A/S, as per usual.

It seems like I got a smoother, closer shave than with the yellow SharpEdge. Definitely less burning when the Speick was splashed on and no razorburn to speak of.

Didn't shave over the weekend (can you say werewolf?) and shaved today with a Feather and TSD soap and aftershave. Blade testing will probably resume tomorrow.

15. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

The yellows in the slant cut almost as close as the feather. Great everyday blade -- very smooth and forgiving.

16. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I used the yellow in a slant and the shave was very average. Took a lot of buffing and hooking to get a good shave. The 2nd shave w/ the same blade went very badly. Scrapes and cuts. Not for me.

One shave w/ a green so far and it went reasonably well. Not ready to say it's going to be my new blade or anything but it was better than the yellow. Shave #2 w/ the same blade will be tomorrow. We'll see how it performs.

After that I will try a black.

Thanks for the samples Bong!

17. derrickm

derrickm New Member

I need to give these a try. So far I've only tried the Merkur and also used a Derby for the first time last night.

18. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Seems there blades are very BurnWoody.

19. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Your experience seems to be mirroring mine, Shep, old boy. I've yet to do my second shave with the Green Permasharp.

20. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Just finished the second shave w/ a green to miserable results. Lots of nicks, weepers and scrapes. Had to break out the styptic pencil which I rarely use. Also needed some face medicine after that so went w/ AV blue. Amazing how one blade can perform quite well one day and go down in flames the next.

Oh well...on to the black.

So far I'm finding nothing that would lead me to replace the Red IP's, and I'm not 100% satisfied w/ those. It would be nice to find THE blade eventually.