7 O'clock Roundup

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by burningdarkness, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

The blacks make for a very nice shave. I've only tried a few, but I may need to stock up on more.

2. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

So I finally got around to the blacks package blades.

Regular Tabac and Speick combo.

Merkur HD.

Results: Little to no pulling, close shave, no irritation, the tiniest amount of burn after applying the Speick.

Conclusion thus far: Black 7 O'clock seems to be the best of the 7 O'clock blades.

3. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Forgot to post an update, but I had a similar shave in the Gillette with the black pack blade as well. I only received one black pack blade and will be attempting to get a few more to conduct further testing.

I have also received a new DE razor (Slant) compliments of Tracy, so I will probably be basing future comparisons using that razor seeing as I have fallen in love with it.

The Green Super Stainless blade is still waiting for use.

4. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I think you'll like a black in the slant Dom. A great combo for me. :happy088

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

OK, I have finally tried each of the 7 O'clocks.

Here are my thoughts:

Super Stainless (green uncoated) - Garbage.
    Super Platinum (Black) - sharp, but left me with weepers. Didn't seem smooth, but harsh. Not for me.
    PermaSharp (greens) - decent, seem very smooth, but not quite sharp enough, I got some slight pulling in some of my thicker areas (under the chin)
    SharpEdge (yellows) - perfect for me. Sharp and smooth. I love them.

6. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I can't wait to get started with the samples Matt sent me, I'll be posting the results here, too

by the way, aren't we glad everyone here knows what we're saying when we say "those blacks aren't as good as the reds, and those yellows better never get near me again!" :happy097:happy097:happy097
    the ignorant could misinterpret....

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I haven't tried either green version but I have to agree with Rodd on the blacks and yellows. Ever since my first shave with a yellow I've been comparing every blade to it, so far it's the pinnacle of modern blades IMO. I had a hard time believing a blade could be so smooth and shave so close without filleting my skin, but it does.

8. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

just used a 7 O'clock black tonight, not bad at all, pretty close to an Astra superior in its first outing, let's see how it does in next shaves
    this was in a super adjustable

9. Truckman

Truckman New Member

That's what I keep saying, and I'm having a difficult time deciding between the two which I like better.

10. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I got more quality shaves out of the black than the Astra. Shave 2 w/ the Astra was a little rough.

11. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

I like the results of a first and sometimes second shave from a Yellow 7 O'clock, but after that they go down hill fast. When these things die, they die without warning. One day its a nice smooth shave and the next there seems to be a lot of tugging and pulling.

12. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

The astra superiors are cheaper from the barber supply place than the 7 o'clock black box aren't they? If they are that similar, just go for the Astra blades since they are cheaper

13. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

My findings are similar to Rodd's

14. Truckman

Truckman New Member

So, based on your comment there Bong, I put a brand new Astra in my Slim this afternoon when I shaved before coming to work. I don't think I've had Astras in my Slim before. Not a good combo. The 3 shave old 7 O'Clock did better yesterday in the Slim on the same setting. But I think the Astras were OK in my FHTech and Fatboy....go figure...I'll try it in something else tomorrow.

15. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I just purchased 100 Astras from a beauty supply place on line. The total with S/H was $21

Interesting. I just finished my 4th shave with an Astra in a Slim and I had excellent results. I'm not taking a chance on a 5th shave however. The Astras work well in my SS too. I'm trying one out in an Aristocrat tomorrow.

16. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Gonna bump up this old thread w/ an update. The bulk order for 7 o'clock blacks arrived a few weeks back, and I've been shaving them regular. I simply love this blade. It is sharp, holds it's edge, remains smooth and lasts longer than any blade I've tried. And I've tried numerous over the past few months.

I have received four stellar shaves and will attempt #5 in a day or two. That's unheard of for me. We all know there is a huge difference in blade results for each person, but if you're looking to test some blades I recommend putting this one on the list. A little pricey, but if you manage 4 or 5 shaves then no worse than some others. Also worth it for an irritation-free shave.

17. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I haven't loaded up a Green Permasharp; however... from my experience..

7 O'Clock Black - excellent sharp, smooth, and long lasting 5+ shaves
    7 O'Clock Yellow - sharp, more likely to cause weepers, only good for two shaves
    7 O'Clock Green (super stainless) - not as sharp, but smooth and outlast the Yellow.

Astra - good all around workhorse blade. A notch above Derby, Crystal, Red Persona, etc... but not always as good as the 7 O'Clocks. They are also pickier about the razor they are in. With the correct combo out perform the Yellow.

18. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

nope, no red IPs here.

19. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Got in my black packs from the bulk order last week (I think). Tried it out in the Slant. Got a very good shave. I will be testing the blade more, but it gives me very good results and is probably on par with Feathers for me.

This seems like a very good quality blade!

This is a Red IP Free zone, Ray. This is going on the report.

<click>