$7 Tuckmar Restoration

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Aug 8, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tuckmar
    13/16th
    Scales, are beautiful Burgundy, when the light hits it.

Came with a decent crack, in the blade. It is an extra hollow grind, so care will be taken, to keep the crack from growing.

Before
    P8071091.JPG

P8071092.JPG

The grinding process was long and painful. This Silver steel is some tough stuff, and makes a very slow going of it. I used an old rough tool hone, approx 200 grit. It is tough as nails, and all the sawing on it didnt leave a mark on the hone. About 1 hour or so, of careful work, and the crack was gone. The blade is now exactly 12/16th inches.
    I then covered the etching with nail polish, not my color, but, it should do. I will attempt to sand around the polish, to remove as much of the rust, and pitting, as I can. I have not had good luck with this step, in the past.

P8071095.JPG

Wish me luck.
    I will give it a go, tomorrow.

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I read somewhere that they were ground differently. Mine looks different than yours. I'll post a pic in a bit.

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

4. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Tuckmar Silver Steel is great stuff .It will take a wonderful smooth and keen edge .

Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ok, finished with the restoring. Well, as much as I wanted.
    The nail polish worked like a charm. I did have to do some very light buffing, after taking the polish off, because of some rust. I used a little FLITZ polish, on the etching, to even everything out. The majority of the etching is intact. There was some major rust on the blade, that I took off, but some pitting still remained. After some sanding and polishing, of the tang, I can now make out, all the writing, on the back side.

Silberstahl
    Sonderklasse
    Feinstes Garantiemesser

translation:

Silver Steel
    Special Class
    Finest Warranty Knife

P8081097.JPG

P8081100.JPG

6. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Very nice restore Scott. Looks great.