70+ DE safety razors on rotation: what is next?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Home_For_Safety_Razors, Mar 19, 2023.

1. I have 70+ razors (except wolfmanrazors - I do not plan to buy titanium Gillette Tech for 1000$) on rotation ... no Chinese or Indian clones... What is next? How many razors on rotation do you have?

Attached Files:

• 70.png
      70.png
      File size:
      433.8 KB
      Views:
    jtspartan, brit and Hembree like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The last time I counted, it was around 140 DE, SE, and Str8s. I really prefer to shave with vintage razors, 50+ years old.

Ron R and Herm2502 like this.
  3. Cool! About vintage ... may be. I have no vintage razors yet

Herm2502 likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Vintage is a whole new world. Today I shaved with a C.V. Heljestrand lather catcher with a wedge Heljestrand blade. Tomorrow I am using a favorite Gillette, my 1921 New Improved Tuckaway. Originally, it was silver plated. It was well worn, so I had it replated with rhodium. It is a beauty.

C.V. Heljestrand with wedge blade.
    [​IMG]

New Improved, before and after replating.
    [​IMG]

jtspartan, Herm2502 and wristwatchb like this.
  5. <Vintage is a whole new world.> Yes... your samples are perfect! A lot of different technical way were approved before our epoch.

Herm2502 likes this.
  6. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Why bother starting a new thread for just 70 razors?
    That amount would be my travel pack.

John Beeman likes this.
  7. ??? full collection ????

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yeah 70 razors only makes you piker around these parts. :D

As others around here would say it's good start but you got a long way to go.

John Beeman likes this.
  9. O-hhh :))

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Collecting for at least 10 years now and wet shaving close to 20, I've found what I want to regularly shave with and that is about 12 - 13 razors I use semi regularly. Out of those I could shave about 5 or so exclusively if I had to. Since I've been collecting and buying and selling to razors to support my razor habit I've shaved with somewhere north of 400 different razors now going by the amount of razors I've sold off.

11. I completely agree

12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Oh boy...no vintage razors? You know where you need to go now...

Ron R and John Beeman like this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yep and single edge razors if none are in that collection. Next up after that would be shavettes and straights and finally broken whiskey bottles.

In all seriousness though jumping into any SE razor platform and mastering it even if you never used another SE razor after that will make you an overall better DE shaver.

PLANofMAN, Ron R and Herm2502 like this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have well over 60 razors but only about 40 make a regular rotation as I'm daily shaver and in that bunch of 40 & I use a few favorites more often. I have SE, DE mostly and have a about half in Vintage and the others are mostly modern Razorock & Yaqi brands mostly. The modern razors are becoming very impressive lately with lots of good shaving razors.
    Times could not be better for folks who enjoy traditional wet shaving for variety of shave products out there and Yaqi has been even trying to resurrect some old name brand name razors from the past like PAA brand does and the quality is very high end IMO.
    Enjoy what we have while we can!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Most of my collection is vintage. Lots of good new ones out there but the quality of the old ones is just amazing. When a 60-100+ year old tool still works as good as the day it was built it adds a whole new dimension to your shave experience.
    Also, you definitely need to explore single edge. My fantastic shave this morning was with a Schick E type injector. Built some time between 1935 and 1945.

Stefano73 and Ron R like this.
  16. Medivh

Medivh New Member

I'd say it all depends on how you look at things. A lot of collectors who own 100 + razors often reach that number, because they own a lot of vintage razors and a good number of those vintage razors are either duplicates or they basically share the same head, but with a different handle, patent or it comes in a different case. I've also seen people bragging on various shaving forums and Facebook groups how they have shaved with over 200 razors, but did they really shaved with 200 entirely different and unique razors though? There's a huge difference between saying that you've used 200 + razors, most of which share the same head and claiming that you've shaved with over 200 absolutely different and unique razors.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've never kept track of how many different razors I've shaved with, but I'd put it in the 100+ range. 200+ if we are talking about duplicates.

If two people came up to me, and one had shaved with 100 different DE razors, and the other person had shaved with 10 razors total, but one was a DE, one was a shavette, one was a Gem Micromatic, one was an injector, one was a straight razor, etc., I would call the guy with 10 razors the more likely to be the experienced shaver of the two.

Medivh likes this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That would make for an interesting thread.

19. Medivh

Medivh New Member

I presume that's a hint for me going off topic?

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Nope just saying is all. It would be interesting to see just how many regulars here are shavoholics and should join W.S.A. (wet shavers anonymous).