70's Black Grip Gillette Super Speed

Discussion in 'Safety Razor Reviews' started by Will, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

My first razor and after I got other ones I realize that this is not the best around, however it is a great way to start DE shaves and is very easy to use and its very tame, gentile like a lamb and a lot of fun too.

It also brings some (some as its just 30 or so years old) nostalgia to the table.

got mine for under 20 bucks so shop around folks!

brit likes this.
  2. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

Nothing Wrong With This Guy

I gotta tell ya. This is a nice little razor. I first bought this off ebay for about 15 dollars. I bought it because my dad owned one, so I thought it would be nice to have. Then, I started to use it and its not a bad shaver. It has a little more heft than say my '50's, 60's SS except for the red-tip. The handle is nice and provides a nice grip. It's not the greatest shaver yet, it gets the job done and will stay in my rotation as it provides a good shave and some good nostalgia as well. How could there be anything wrong with that? Great razor for a newb and overall a nice little worker.

3. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

When I started with one of these I picked it up because I was using something that Gillette would rather me not use. Sort of flicking the middle finger at Gillette. Now I am addicted to the Super Speed and I am in the process of putting together a collection of them.

It also brings a bit of nostalgia as well, my pop had one of these things for thirty years and threw it in the garbage. I will never forgive him for that. After a lot of research this is what he had so its sort of like honoring pop every time I use it.

JRod22 likes this.
  4. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I have two Super Speed razors: a 1979 black handled SS and a z1 '40's style SS. In comparison to the 40's style, the black handled is a very mild shaver. It's light and easy to hold. I can get a bbs shave out of it with some work, which is the only "complaint" I have about the razor. It does take me at least three passes with some touch up to get at least a DFS with this razor. I can almost always get BBS, or very close to it if I do a four pass shave.

It's light weight and flat head profile make it a very mild shaver which was perfect for me when I got it as a PIF in July of 2008. It's not a great razor by any means, but it is a very good razor that provides smooth, comfortable shaves without irritation.

5. akhorosh

akhorosh New Member

It is good razor, but not aggressive enough.

6. HUF

HUF Active Member

Just wanted to add a picture to the thread.
    BlackHandleSS001.jpg