70th Anniversay Iwo Jima

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by PatrickA51, Feb 23, 2015.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

KLF, CyanideMetal, dbersh and 6 others like this.
  2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've read several books on Iwo Jima. Those guys were a different breed.

ObiDon and PatrickA51 like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Ryan
    Why do you think they called them the Greatest Generation. You didn't them running to Canada to avoid the Draft. I had an Uncle that lied about his age to join the Navy and another one that lied about his age and joined the Marine Corps.....he later went on and retired as a Major. better known as a Mustanger.
    Also one Uncle that made the Bataan Death March and spent the war in a Japanese POW Camp.

ObiDon, dbersh and Mustache like this.
  4. Ryan B

Trust me, I know why better than most people. People in your generation running to Canada was despicable. My generation might be even worse. Most people in my generation are either too fat, have too many mental issues, too many tattoos, or are too entitled to serve in the military. I did it though. I am part of that 1% that is actually capable of embracing the suck.

PatrickA51 and ObiDon like this.
  5. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

My dad was in the Navy during WWII. My brother was in the Army just after Korea. And I just retired from the Navy in 2012.

Definitely the utmost respect for the Greatest Generation and all Vets!

God bless America and our troops.

6. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

The Greatest Generation is what they are. My dad was 101st Airborne and my mom was Army Air Corps in WWII. We lost my dad 5 years ago and my mom, who turns 90 in May, lied about her age to get in. The troops we have today are making their own history, and we should also be very proud of them as well. As a veteran myself I salute you and them.

PatrickA51 and dbersh like this.
  7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Uncommon valor was a common virtue. They went through hell for a lonnnnng time during the island hopping campaigns.

In boot camp, one of the few reprieves we ever got was when a reunion of some of the Chosin Reservoir Marines , a.k.a. The frozen Chosin, visited Parris Island and they gave a little talk to us. Different war but similar cut of warrior.

I usually don't get all misty over my experience but when I look back on the legacy that was handed down to me with the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, I can't help but feel unworthy. Those were MEN!

Semper Fi!

8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

My stepdad was a Marine in WWII. He wasn't in Iwo Jima, but I think it would've just been another island to him. He was underage when he signed up, like a lot of guys. He was one of the first Marines in Japan after they surrendered, like in the first 12.

PatrickA51, ObiDon and dbersh like this.
  9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

An honor of gratitude to those who have and are serving. <Salute>

PatrickA51 and ObiDon like this.
  10. Greg F.

Greg F. Well-Known Member

I agree with the weight and mental problems. I do think that tattoos should be allowed as long as they're not on the face. I was told I have to cover a tattoo on my back before I can join but everything else I'm cleared to join. If people want to serve, ink on the body shouldn't matter. I understand looking for conformity within the military but I've always thought it was kind of BS. They're really cracking down and I don't know why.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. Ryan B

I agree about the tattoos. I didn't say that in a way to say that tattoos are bad. I have tattoos. I wasn't very clear about that and I apologize. The tattoo thing is just another thing to keep people out. When we have a big war, they'll relax the standards again and lighten up with the tattoo standards.

But they lighten up too bad in certain areas a lot. The military is not a place for social experiments.

Greg F. and PatrickA51 like this.
  12. Ryan B

My grandpa was a marine during Korea. He was 17 when the A-bombs were dropped. He wanted to lie about his age and go to the Pacific, but my great-grandma (his mom) forbid him from doing so. I'm surprised he listened because he never listened to anybody.

BigMark likes this.
  13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I had an uncle who joined the Marines when he was 17. He was on Iwo Jima. I also have an old family friend who was in the New Mexico National Guard and just happened to be doing his month at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked. He was active duty the rest of the way and survived Bataan. Words cannot express the gratitude I and many feel for those brave souls.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Were it not for the tremendous number of those brave men who served and died on both Iwo and Okinawa, the decision to drop the atomic bombs would have been a considerably more difficult decision for the Allies.
    Side note: Despite those great losses, plans were made to invade the Japanese mainland (with casualty estimates of civilian and soldiers to be 750k to a million). Truman's decision to authorize the dropping of two new nuclear weapons shortened the war by as much as two years, by some estimates, and saved innumerable lives.

I have considerable respect for those young brave men who served in the Pacific theatre.

Ryan B, KLF, Ceferguson and 1 other person like this.
  15. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

A lot of guys lied about their ages back then. My maternal Grandfather lied and joined The Navy. And yes, Kevin is right , dropping the A-Bombs saved innumerable lives. My grandfather was training to pilot landing craft for the invasion of Japan. God bless all the Men And Women involved in the war effort, both American and British and their allies.

16. Ryan B

I can't imagine the feeling of relief these Marines, sailors, and soldiers had knowing that they wouldn't be invading Japan. Especially when they survived meat grinders like Peliliu, Luzon, Tarawa, Saipan, Gloucester, and other campaigns.

I've read that there were 500,000 Purple Hearts made specifically for the Invasion of Japan, because that's how many American casualties were expected. Along with at least 250,000 Allied casualties. Not to mention tens of millions of Japanese casualties.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

...And those who were coming over from the European theatre just in time for the invasion of Japan.

18. Ryan B

Exactly. We probably would have been reading about Easy Company jumping into Tokyo or Osaka. We would have also seen the Soviet Union try to invade from the north, even though they proved to be inefficient at island hopping and had immense logistical problems not to mention tough resistance in the northern Japanese islands they tried to invade.

HolyRollah likes this.