8/8 razor stropping?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rio Bravo, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Rio Bravo

Rio Bravo Well-Known Member

Hi all. It's been a few weeks since I posted but I have sadly been busy at work. So the question I have is: How do you strop a 8/8 razor. The manufacturer that I purchased it off, Revisor, stipulate that a 8/8 should be held slightly elevated. It seems to suggest the spine should not touch the leather, but run close to the leather. How do you strop an 8/8 straight razor?

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The only way I've done a razor that size (just a few 8/8s, mostly 7/8s) is the same way I do all the razors—with the spine flat against the strop. I would think to do anything else (elevating the spine, for example) would be contrary to maintaining the bevel angle and do more harm to the edge than good. Maybe Revisors are different.

Rio Bravo, 45auto and mikewood like this.
  3. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Don't do it! I have an 8/8 Revisor and received the same note. Keep the spine on and you'll be fine.

Rio Bravo, 45auto and mikewood like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm no expert, but seems to me lifting the spine is just begging to roll the edge.

Rio Bravo and emmijack like this.
  5. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Wow, can you really trust the razor with advice like this? I might call them up and ask them about the note. Seems crazy but maybe they have a good reason that goes against SOP for 99.44% of all razors in the market.

Rio Bravo likes this.
  6. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I think it's just an old flyer sent with every razor.

I have two Revisors, an 8/8 and a 6/8. Both were very nice out of the box. Shipping speed was about a week from Germany to Wisconsin. They were very friendly in e-mails. I have zero complaints and will buy from them again. Very nice razors

45auto likes this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Hmmmmm

I would not trust the "Translation"

TI also has some odd ball thoughts on Honing/Stropping when you read their instructions

How to say this nicely ????

As a professional Honemeister who makes money from honing SR's and even more money from honing "Messed" up SR's I should probably keep my big mouth shut and let you follow the instructions..

Or

You could listen and keep the spine on the strop, keep the strop Taut, and make nice even controlled laps :p and maintain your edge for a long time

The razor is yours and so is the decision

Good Luck

ps; Revisor is one of the few production companies that actually puts a shaving edge on their razors, really nice steel

ObiDon, Rio Bravo, 45auto and 4 others like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hey, now that's what I would call a sound business plan! How about sending out instructional pamphlets recommending spine-lifting, edge-rolling, bricks as hones, and using paper to test for sharpness as means to properly maintain one's straight razors? :D:D

Mr. Oldschool, emmijack and txskimo like this.
  9. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

That would keep Glen's shop hoppin!

10. Rio Bravo

Rio Bravo Well-Known Member

Thanks. I thought as much but just wanted to clarify. My fear was that you would all suggest the same

11. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

I've had more 7/8 to 10/8 razors than I can count -- including a new 8/8 Revisor (8-0001 'Revisor Extra' to be exact) -- and I've stropped them all the same way I would any other straight: spine resting on the strop, and little more than the weight of the razor creating the pressure.

BTW - if you bought it directly from Revisor and haven't used it yet, I HIGHLY recommend honing it before you use it. While they are sold as shave ready, and can indeed shave out of the box, I didn't find it to be a very comfortable shave... After a good honing though, it was a completely different story -- delivered some of the nicest shaves I've had.

gssixgun likes this.