8/8 Wade & Butcher "Meatchopper" in a new Cocobolo-Outfit

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by harrykoeln, Apr 23, 2008.

1. harrykoeln

harrykoeln New Member

This is a very old Wedge Blade (maybe 1870 or older) in a new scale. Wood is Cocobolo - but a very rare one - because it is very, very dark red/brown - close to black. The scale is just oiled and polished on the polish-wheel. No extra finish like shellac or CCL-Oil or something like that.
    BullsEye-Pins and, what is the name of that piece of metal at the "not-blade-End" is Brass...

Here you are..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was desired that you can see the patina. Mirror-like finish was not wanted.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Niiiiice! :signs107

Have you shaved with it yet?

James.

3. harrykoeln

harrykoeln New Member

I did - one of the best razors i ever used. i am a proud owner of nearly 45 Wade & Butcher Razors - but these Meatchoppers are amazing.

Here is another one, my Baby, my LADY... I love it. Scales are original...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Sweeeet, Harry! And I like the lady too. Would love to ask her for a dance :D

Oh, and the doohickey between the rear-end of the scales is called "spacer"

5. xChris

xChris Member

Great shavers! I really enjoy my W&Bs too. The first one has a great smile, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a W&B 8/8 with that large of a smile (I like it).

Sometimes the spacer is referred to as the wedge (because sometimes it is a wedge in shape).

6. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

The rounded handle of the first one is pretty cool! I like smooth lines, sharp edges just don't do it for me.

7. harrykoeln

harrykoeln New Member

I am glad, that you enjoy it.
    The scales of the first one should assume at "spacers end" the shape of the blade...

I am looking for more pictures...

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I really like how the rear end of the scales mimic the point of the razor. I also really like the overall curved shape of the scales and the metal spacer with the dark wood. Good job!

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

Great looking blades Harry! Congrats :D

10. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Those look great! The re-scale is amazing!

11. Traveller

Traveller New Member

I think this one is from around 1830.I have one just like it with a mans name,and the date July 1830 carved into the scales.Beautiful razor and teriffic scales.Ijust love shaving with that old stuff.best regards Gary

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Oh SWEET! I'm such a sucker for a W & B blade!

13. Automaton-Tim

Automaton-Tim New Member

I like that you left the patina on the blade. It is an old razor and shows that you cared for it enough to allow the razor to tell its story. Looks like it is ready for another hundred years. Beautiful job!

14. Nik den Bak

Nik den Bak New Member

Damn those are nice scales!

I bought a full wedge 6/8 wade and butcher razor about 6 months ago and I love it. Shaving with a straight razor is amazing! the only thing I'm not sure about is looking after it. Do I need to oil it occasionally? And what's the best hone to get to keep it sharp?

PS. The scales on your razor are damn nice.

15. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

That is one mean looking cleaver.
    Nice work my friend.

16. joed

joed New Member

Wow, very nicely done with a creative eye. Truly a work to be proud of.

17. Proraso Man

Proraso Man New Member

love the bulls eye look!

18. roosclan

roosclan New Member

Beautiful razor! I know I'm dragging up an ancient thread, but I just picked up a W&B chopper this weekend that looks almost exactly like yours, minus the notch in the blade. Were you able to date it more accurately? Mine has the same stamping right above the thumbnotch, with no proofmarks under it. Is that a way to tell the age of the razor?

What other markings are on yours that would tell you the age of it? I'm completely new to this stuff.

19. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

WOW........... :drool

That's a really, really nice looking razor :happy088