80-90 year old PLISSON shaving brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by alpla444, Jul 17, 2012.

1. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I managed to get hold of this rare vintage shave brush made by PLISSON of France, I knew it was old but didnt realise just how old it was untill I emailed Plisson, there reply was

Hello
    This badger was manufactured in the year 1920/1930
    This is a museum piece
    Cordialy
    J.Viart
    P1040177(1).JPG
    P1040178(1).JPG
    I suppose the condition can be excused due to its age:)

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Are you going to keep it the way it is, re-knot it, or send it to Plisson for a restore? I know what I would do with it.:D Interesting brush. A "museum" piece, eh? I'm going to have to start going to the museums in search of shaving goodies.

alpla444 likes this.
  3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Just keeping it the way it is at the moment, I did intend to restore it (Before I knew its real age that is) Plisson never mentioned they do restorations, so maybe thats an idea,
    Cant say ive seen any others this old so Im kinda keeping it as it is for now

4. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I don't think that is a valid reason ;).

That's a nice brush! Congrats on the find and the reply from the company! :D

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Good find! Will be looking forward to the restoration pics...

6. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

80-90 yrs? Plissons seem to be a little harder to break-in than most. :D

7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nice find, I enjoy looking at the older stuff.

8. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Nice find, I vote to keep the way it is.

wlmcad likes this.
  9. Hello,
    I'm back just this evening, going back to Italy for another long week end, mostly to look for antiques & listen to Jazz Live performance on San Remo Beach.
    My answer will be rather short.
    These early 20th century brushes made by plisson are not so easy to identify as most of the times the painting has gone, other manufacturers used to produce similar products, the most common "copy" was the Figaro Brush, very famous among barbers . As far as I know (I have shown the pictures to Friends around) this is a scarce example as the red paint is still clearly visible.
    I have myself several old French brushes but none like the one presented here.
    If I was the owner of this brush I would certainly leave as it is.... Changing the knot even if work is done by Plisson will alter the historical value of the brush.
    I do think they are unable to restore exactly as it was when the brush left the production line ....
    I know a person who have been working in the factory for decades and he suggested not to try to repair the brush.

The person who answered you was meaning it's a piece of history about Plisson's handcrafting art , this is what we call "pièce de musée", this means true antique but not unique & preserved enough to be displayed in a museum....
    The translation into museum piece is a kind of shortcut ... French language is much more subtle or sophisticated than most of English speakers can imagine but it's not always easy to translate ....
    Your brush is nice, keep it in your display ;-)

Have a great week end,
    Regards,

Loïc

PanChango and ohpaos like this.
  10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Many thanks for your time and reply, It has been kept as it is and displayed with a few other select shaving items that I have.

11. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Luckily, That is exactly what "museum piece" means in English as well. Is not " pièce de musée" a short cut itself as you explained very eloquently.
    Why would you think English speakers would have a problem with understanding that?

alpla444 and Erik Redd like this.
  12. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

if brushes are like most other antique items, the value is in keeping it in the condition it is in. was that too many "ins"?

alpla444 likes this.
  13. jmsodpc

jmsodpc Well-Known Member

wow..thats a cool piece to view....

alpla444 likes this.