A 1920s Gillette wearing a tuxedo! (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Apr 28, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

So I bought this 1927/28 Gillette New Standard a while back. I know it was made in 1927 or 1928 because it doesn't have a serial number. Gillette ceased using serial numbers briefly from October 18, 1927 to August 27, 1928.

No cracks, splits or hairline fractures in the handle. No bent, broken, missing or chipped teeth.

When I bought it, it was plated with gold - mostly. The head cap was down to the bare brass and there was a good bit of brassing on the handle.

On this past March 7th, I put this razor in the hands of the postal service and sent it off to be re-plated in black nickel (hence the tuxedo reference!) by Reliable Electro Plating. Reliable is in Massachusetts and I found it fitting that after 85 (1927) or 84 (1928) years, this razor returned to its home state for some new clothes! (For those that do not know, Gillette's home town is Boston, Massachusetts)

Today, April 28, it has arrived back to me.

Below are Before and After pics.......

jimjo1031 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. IAmTheJody

BEFORE

DSCN0256.jpg DSCN0257.jpg DSCN0255.jpg DSCN0254.jpg DSCN0252.jpg DSCN0253.jpg DSCN0251.jpg DSCN0250.jpg DSCN0249.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    jimjo1031, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

AFTER
    DSCN1277.jpg DSCN1273.jpg DSCN1276.jpg DSCN1272.jpg DSCN1270.jpg DSCN1271.jpg DSCN1269.jpg DSCN1268.jpg DSCN1267.jpg
    DSCN1266.jpg DSCN1264.jpg DSCN1265.jpg DSCN1263.jpg DSCN1261.jpg DSCN1262.jpg DSCN1260.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    jimjo1031, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Cool! :love029

5. IAmTheJody

Thank you! ::git

Now I can't decide if I want to keep it paired with the chrome Omega razor/brush stand or the black Omega razor/brush stand...

6. NoahG

NoahG Member

Wow! A-Mazing! You always have the coolest toys Jody.

7. Queen of Blades

Rotation. :D

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I concur. Variety is the spice of life.

ETA. That's pretty darn cool Jody. Congrats.

9. IAmTheJody

I dunno, seems like extra work rotating razor stands. You've got to remove the razor already in the stand so you can put in the other razor.. :happy102

Thank you! Now I'm thinking I want to go on and have my Gillette Senator re-plated in black nickel too. The pictures, or my picture taking skills, really don't do the black nickel justice on this baby. That's why I tried to contrast it with the chrome stand and the black stand so hopefully you all can see it and it not just look like tarnished silver.

brit likes this.
  10. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

may i ask what the charges were?

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

In that case, send your stand and have it plated in black nickel also....

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The black nickel is very nice!

13. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

very sweet! That is one razor I have never been able to acquire. And that tuxedo treatment.. wow! :D

14. Queen of Blades

It makes me think of hematite;
    hema.jpg

15. IAmTheJody

Thanks! Unfortunately I've had to sell off most of my toys. Only reason I have this is because I'd already sent it off for re-plating before I was forced to liquidate my collection.

More than I would have paid if they'd have told me the right price when I first inquired. When I talked to them on the phone before I sent it to them, Dale told me for black nickel it would be $30 to $35 depending on how much clean-up needed to be done to the razor. When it was ready and they called to get payment, it was $57. I wasn't happy about that but it was done and if I wanted my razor back.... I don't know if Dale told me the $30 to $35 price the first time out of error or what.. but when Karen called for payment she said "oh no, this is black nickel, it's not $30 or $35, it's $57 because we have to plate it in nickel and then in black nickel". Seems odd they'd charge the same price for black nickel as they do for gold. *shrug*

EDIT: Now that I've actually looked at the invoice they included, I guess it makes sense. $45.00 for "razor, 3 parts, Gillette, clean, polish, bright nickel, black nickel" + $12.00 UPS shipping. I loathe UPS.. they are expensive and they never get to my house until around 6:30 PM.

brit likes this.
  16. IAmTheJody

Thanks guys! ::git

That's the same thing I said when I opened the box!

17. Queen of Blades

:D
    Pictures must be good enough then, if even the blind gal on the forum sees what you see in person.

18. IAmTheJody

I thought "gunmetal" too but it's not quite black enough for that.

19. Queen of Blades

I don't have a point of reference for gunmetal.

I do for hematite. When I was younger I use to wear a cross made from hematite. They kept breaking though, so I stopped buying them. But I love the silvery black look of hematite.

20. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

That is a sweet looking razor.