a boy and his boar

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by bittermormon, Jan 23, 2013.

1. bittermormon

bittermormon Active Member

I have had a Tweezerman that I've used for 9ish months since I started. This morning I used my new Omega/Proraso brush (shorter loft from ItalianBarber) and loved it. Out of the box it's as soft as my Tweezerman is currently and I really like the added size of the handle and brush. The stiffness is another huge plus for me, as was the price.

If I was starting over today, knowing what I now know, I'd go with something like this brush or an Omega professional for the same price as the Tweezerman. Back then I was too worried that having to worry about breaking in a boar, in conjunction with learning how to lather would be too much, but I am really impressed with this brush. I look forward to seeing how it improves over coming months.

2. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Which model of the Omega did you get? I've got the 10049 and like it, but I'd like something with a shorter bristle length, and maybe a little bit softer.

3. bittermormon

I got the Proraso Brush which I believe is basically a rebranded 10048. They've lowered the loft a bit though. I don't have any other boars to compare it to though. I doubt I will either since BAD isn't a problem for me and this one seems to be working really well. I got mine from Italian Barber and since he charges $6.50 flat rate to ship to the US, I just had to get 2 more RR soaps, right? (I'm practicing for when my wife sees the CC bill)

Lexicon Devil and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you can convince yourself that Italian Barber really ships from Italy, I'm sure you can convince your wife that the soaps were absolutely necessary to your health, sanity and well-being. That being said, I hope you ordered her a few things as well...

5. bittermormon

I can convince myself he ships from Canada

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You have a firm grasp on reality, that's not good.:p I foresee marital trouble in your future...yeeessss...on a day...when the cc bill comes in the mail... [drops crystal ball] ...oops. I was about to see how it turned out. Ah well, we'll hope for the best.

bittermormon likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have the 49, as well. It has broken in to be a fantastic brush.
    If your looking for something with shorter bristle length, take a look at the 11574. My son gave me one this past Christmas. And (you'll like this) I was very impressed with how soft it was right out of the box.

8. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Don't forget all the great Semogue boars as well. You may just get a brush AD as well. Omega and Semogue make wonderful stuff.

9. bittermormon

Personally I don't see it happening. This seems to be working so why change it? AD is silly. Why spend the money?...especially when there's so many soaps and aftershaves to try. ;)

10. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

I suffer from this as well!

11. bittermormon

very limited space (both for storage, and in my checking account) helps a lot.

Sunflake and PLANofMAN like this.