A brush for the daughter's boy friend

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by gregindallas, Dec 10, 2011.

1. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Our daughter has been using a badger brush sense she entered her teens may years ago. She used it to keep her face clean during adolescents and continues now to remove her makeup and other more traditional uses for the badger. A few weeks ago, she asked me to help her select a brush for her BF as he wants to get started in wet shaving. I don't know how far he'll actually take this as he tends to look at my razors with a combination of fear and loathing (with a little lust thrown in when he hears their values).

So far I've ordered a couple of Boars (Omega & Semogue), a horse (Vie-Long) and a few badgers (Vulfix & Simpsons). She can pick one for her guy and I'll just kinda keep the rest (am I a great dad or what? :D ).
    She also has the option of one of my old ones. I'll let you know how it turns out.

tomnat and alpla444 like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Wow she is getting a really good deal as she can see what each one is like, and im sure you will make good use of the excess:D

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

If she doesn't get the Simpsons, I'd be really surprised. I think only a rare exception would not think it's the nicest of the list you gave (though to many not by enough to justify the price). I look forward to hearing how it turns out and how far the boyfriend takes this whole wet shaving thing.

4. gregindallas

DSCN1692cc.jpg The brushes are starting to arrive. This may get painfull:D.

5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

They both look nice, I neary got one of those vie long, Your daughter has a hard choice with just those two let alone the rest.

6. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Greg, is that the Commodore x2?

7. gregindallas

Yep Commodore X2 Best badger

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I think there's a typo in your title.

Isn't it suppose to say "shotgun", not "brush"? :D

battle.munky and IAmTheJody like this.
  9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

That is what I was thinking as well...

10. gregindallas

I snaged a butterscotch RV the other day for this contest TGN 22mm Black Badger set at 53mm loft. I think it might end up the winner.
    DSCN5137abc.jpg

11. gregindallas

[sigh] We may have made a few mistakes raising our daughter. She is very bright (her mom), strong (she's a marathoner), proud and militantly self sufficient. We may need a shotgun but not for the guy . Even that might be risky as she occasionally carries her snub nose 38 special (her birthday present a few years ago).;)

Queen of Blades likes this.
  12. gregindallas

The Vuffix and the Rudy Vey (butterscotch/black badger) are here. Which would you choose?
    DSCN1694zz.jpg

13. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

I'd personally choose the X2 followed by the Vie-Long on appearance alone. Feeling them may prove different. I will say though that the X2 and that Vie-Long are both on my Christmas list and from what I hear I may be bringing one of those babies home from an early Christmas with my parents this weekend!

14. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I've had my eye on that Commodore x2 for a little while now, but that Rudy Vey butterscotch looks mighty tasty. I like the contrast of the handle and the black badger. Very nice.

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The RV Butterscotch.
    They all look great, though.

16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

It already is Greg!

I'd pluck that VieLong out of the line up if I were him. Sucker's nice!

17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm with Bob on this one. The Vie Long looks like a winner to me.

18. gregindallas

I'm going to need to talk her through her decision to some extent. I could talk her away from the brushes I want to keep but that isn't the point here. I could say; Simpsons shed like a Malamute, Vie Longs horse hair and anthrax etc.. :D

I still think she'll go for the RV though. It is a looker for sure. A little gaudy for my taste, it would fit a young guy starting out very well.:cool:

19. gregindallas

Well, that wasn't much of a contest. Rudy won as I suspected he might. Who can resist Butterscotch & Black badger?
    Me: Here are some brushes for you to select from sweetie.
    Daughter: What's this one?
    Me: That a Vie-Long in horse hair!
    Daughter: Can't have horse hair. He wants badger.
    Me: O..K...
    Daughter: Ohhh what's this one!
    Me: That's a Rudy Vey custom butterscotch brush with a black badger knot.
    Daughter: You're sure it's badger?
    Me: Yep. I've got a couple more for you to look at here.
    Daughter: They're small.
    And we're done.

Hmmm, I seemd to have gained 3 badger & 2 Boar brushes here.........Marry Christmas to me!:happy108:

20. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

She may have got the bigger brush but you seem to have got the better deal. You will have to let me know what the Vie-long is like I saw in your SOSotd you said interesting