A couple of custom brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Turnz2, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

Here are a couple of custom brushes I made with knots from The Golden Nib.

The first is a UK hand tied silver tip badger in a white Corian handle.

Next is Tony's boar offering in Midnight Blue Corian.

And then both for comparison. Tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

2. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Nice, where to do you get the large diameter Corian?
    I only see it in the 1/2 inch sheets, did you glue it up to get the thickness.
    How does it turn?

3. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

Bob,
    These are glued up three thicknesses of material. I have been using CA glue but the white one has separated which I didn't show in the photo. (I'm not THAT dumb). The blue handle was glued with the same glue from the same bottle but I roughed the surfaces a bit more and that may be the answer to the glue up process. I'm also unsure how soaking them in hot water will affect them as heat will release CA glue. I'm testing with these. If anyone has other experiences with gluing Corian I'd sure be happy to know what you've tried.

Corian turns fairly easily with sharp tools but can be prone to chip out. However sharp tools a fast lathe speed and light cuts will do it. FYI these were sanded on the lathe to 600 and then micro meshed to 12,000 grits.

Do give it a try.

Cyril

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Nice! I have turned a couple corian pens, and have always been curious about layering it. Looks good!

5. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

been interested in getting some red and white corian myself...:D

6. Moe

Moe Active Member

Very nice work!

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Love the idea of team colors.

Do let us know how the CA holds up. Thank you!

8. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Corian adhesive come in what looks line 2 part chalk gun with a screw in the barrel that mixes the 2 parts.
    They seem to overfill so there's a lot of squeeze out then scrape and sand the excess off when it dries.
    It's amazing how the seams disappears.
    I'm a cabinet maker not a counter top guy, the smell of the glue and the sanding dust is rather nasty so I had no desire to learn more.

9. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

You may be right, Bob. We put in new Corian counter tops last year but I missed them gluing the butt joints. I was told they used a "special" glue and I may try to hit them up for some. I'm also going to try a two part epoxy and see how that works. Thanks for that info.

10. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

DuPont wont sell Corian to just anybody you have to be certified fabricator.
    The guy who was making the tops at our shop was using Avonite a generic version.

11. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

Bob, I just get scraps from the local dealer. By the way, your brushes and razor handles look great.

12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

OY! you brush turners are going to force me to get a house so I can have a lathe.

Nice work!

13. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

That's how I got my scraps, from the installer when they make the cut out for a cook top.
    I have several pieces that I use in the kitchen for cutting boards.
    Here's a website that i just found.
    http://www.coriartspecialties.com/

14. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

Turning is great enjoyment and most who give it a try soon find themselves more involved. But I warn you here, it's a slippery slope and we call it a vortex. You think wet shaving causes AD...just wait till you get a lathe. It's only the first step into an abyss.

Justin, I have a friend in Illinois who, until recently, turned in an unused closet in his apartment.

Cyril

15. DV8_JERM

DV8_JERM New Member

Cool I like to see people use different materials to make things. :happy096