A couple of handles

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by oscar11, Dec 16, 2011.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I ordered a 26 mm Silvertip grade A knot from TGN so I made up a few handles. Still pondering the loft but I would guess 50-55 mm. 26mm 003.JPG

2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

great handles, Oscar. Your work is fantastic. I like a little backbone, so I would think 50mm loft would do nicely.

3. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

amazing

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

yup

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Man, you are knocking it out of the park with the handles dude. Me likey.

6. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Not that I'm going too start turning but may I ask what material this that?What size lathe ? And isn't turning acrylics,plastics hard on the tools?And any other information you would like too share would be great.
    I find myself coming back too drool over that picture,really nice work.

7. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

For the knot, I wouldn't go higher than 50mm, the super is kind of floppy...

As for the handles, handle 1 the keyhole copy is pretty sweet!

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Oscar, Oscar, Oscar! You are really making me want a new brush!

9. oscar11

tucco99, I'll try and answer your questions. First off, I have 2 lathes both Jet brand. One is a small bench top "mini" and the other a heavier duty model (sorry no model # on it). I use the big lathe for all my stuff though if I wanted I could use the mini. The mini is set up for buffing, mostly for straight razor restoration and buffing scales. The 3 handles in this thread are made from inlace acrylester. Any acrylic should work, PolyGem, etc. No, I don't find it hard on the tools. The primary turning tools I use are : a heavy duty roughing gouge, a spindle (or fingernail) gouge, a skew and occasionally a rounded scrapper. Finish with micro mesh and buff then polish. If you guys have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them, but I'm no expert just a hobbyist.

10. AABCDS

AABCDS Member

I really like the middle handle and the handle on the right.

11. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Oscar thanks for the information,interesting.Only if I had the room for a lathe.

12. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

Oscar: Very nice. Quick question, how much larger than the knot size do you drill the center hole and how deep do you set the knot? Just starting turning and and looking for some suggestions. Thanks!!

13. oscar11

stoney, I like the hole just a "hair" bigger than the knot, so it doesn't insert tightly. As far as depth, it's dependent on how you like your brushes to feel on your face.. Example being, some people like a stiffer brush for face lathering and some like a floppier brush. Within the same hair type and diameter, shorter is stiffer and longer is floppier. To confuse things more, hair type and diameter will also play into your loft setting (or how deep you set the knot to achieve the feel you want). Say you have a 22mm knot that's 62mm long and you want your loft set at 50mm you need to drill your hole 12mm deep. This is just my opinion and I'm no expert but with a 2 band finest from TGN with a knot ranging from 20-24mm a 50 mm loft wouldn't too far off, maybe a little less on the 20mm. With a Silver tips I'd go shorter. Everyone has their own opinion on loft and knot dia. and what type of hair so it's really a guess trying to advise someone on what to do. Hope this helps.

PanChango and battle.munky like this.
  14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

That says pretty much everything.

15. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

Thanks Oscar. I am beginning to understand. The hole is WAY more critical from a technical standpoint than I had realized. Should be able to fine tune the brush characteristics. It makes sense now. You can control loft with your setting depth, and the diameter of the hole should affect the stiffness and bloom of the brush by restricting (or not) the bundle of hair above the knot base. Sounds like a good excuse to buy more Forster bits GREAT!

16. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Wow can't wait to see them when they are complete, stunning job so far.

17. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I'm in love with the middle handle...:love029:

IAmTheJody likes this.