A few questions for my wife

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by erictski, Feb 5, 2009.

1. erictski

erictski Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Ladies

Posting for my lovely wife. I want to start her on the wet shaving and she is willing to try my razor...

A few questions.

When preparing to shave with soap do you just load up your brush and direct lather, use a shave stick like mama bear makes and then lather, or lather in a bowl?

Same question for creams.
    Would this be a good brush for her

http://www.pricegrabber.com/rd.php/...55/set=1233869499/st=query/price_str=1+Seller

or would this be better

http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/product_womens.php?product=83005

or just a normal brush like i use...

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/800550/422301.htm

Then finally do any of you use alum blocks post shave? Or just a normal body mosturizer?

and finally any suggestions for good soaps or creams.

thanks for the help....

2. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

I use a regular shaving brush. My soap is in a mug. I wet the brush, shake off any excess, then swirl it a couple of times in the mug to get a nice lather.
    Then off I go. :) My brush is like the one on Classic Shaving.
    I haven't used my alum block in a long time, but I do have one if needed.
    As far as lotions, I make my own, so no help there.

Maybe JoAnna can pop in here and give you more info.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Normal brush. I really don't like the looks of most brushes marketed especially for women.

My brush; A Knotty Badger custom ( that I saw Omega is now copying , badly :rolleyes:)
    [​IMG]

I used to use a bowl, but now I just lather on my skin. For both creams and soaps.

I use an Alum block after every shave, followed by an aftershave milk or splash.

My top suggestions for products are Sharp brand blades and Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado shaving cream. But I use just as wide a variety as the guys around here do. Susie's Bubbles, Ginger's Garden, TSD (my own) all make good products and can offer far more selection of feminine scents than the large companies (like the 3 T's, and various others).

And if you don't mind, we'd love to have your wife join the forum.

4. Poulin

Poulin New Member

My wife uses Proraso Aloe & Green Tea shaving soap and an Omega brush. I've sold this combo to a few women we know and they're happy with it.

My wife uses Institut Karité aftershave balm on her legs afterwards.

She's been using a Gillette Tech loaded with a red pack Personna.

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

This is a wonderful soap for fragile skin--gentle, easy to create the lather, smells nice, and cooling, and has the moisturizing of a good cream! :)

6. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

New to DE shaving myself and still trying different products. I tried the lavender shea butter Kiss My Face moisture shave cream and like it a lot. Very good lather and leaves my skin feeling good. A light scented product that won't clash with other scented products. I use a bowl and a cheap boar brush I found at wally world. I know, I'll get a nicer dead smelly badger brush someday soon. My favored razor is a vintage Gillette open comb. Current blades are US personnas, again from wally world. 1st pass WTG, 2nd pass ATG with a touch up here and there and I'm on my way. I always ended up with a burn or nicked with those cartridge razors and canned shave crud. With good technique and a slower approach, you can get a great shave. I had a couple of weepers and some minor irritation the first 2 shaves. Mostly due to newbie klutzing around. I'm getting it right (finally) and actually enjoying my time spent shaving. :D