A gift for my wife...HELP!

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by lradke, Sep 11, 2011.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Hey Everyone!

I am planning on getting my wife a brush and some shave cream for either her birthday or Christmas. I am looking for a synthetic brush, because she has really bad allergies to animals so I don't want to risk a badger or boar.

My questions are...
    1) what size of brush would I buy her (knot/loft...does it matter?!)?
    2) what are the options for quality synthetic brushes (I don't want something scratchy)?

For all of you who have some advice/knowledge on this matter, if you could please help that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

My only experience with synthetics is the Body Shop synthetic brush. It doesn't lather quite like a natural brush but it wasn't scratchy at all. I think most of the newer synthetic brushes are pretty soft unlike the old straight up nylon bristles. Having said that, if you got one of TGNs synthetic knots and an old vintage brush handle or a new acrylic one (Rudy Vey for instance) and did a reknot, I think you'd be good to go. The Body Shop synthetic was a bit cheap feeling and not sealed super well, at least mine wasn't, so the wooden handle started showing signs of degradation around the base of the knot.

Just my suggestion, either way, pics would be cool of whatever route you take. Best of luck Luke.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have used the Body Shop brush and thought it was decent until I tried the TGN synthetic and found TGN to be way better.

I suggest either re-knotting a vintage handle or have one spun for you. There is also the Frank Shaving Synthetic option which I am pretty sure uses the same knot as the TGN.

SharpSpine and battle.munky like this.
  4. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have sent another message to Starshavingsupplies to see when they will be back in stock on this brush. It is an excellent performer.

6. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Well there is MÜHLE's Synthetic Fibre, I haven't personally used it but plan on picking one up sometime...

$44.35 shipped for a 21mm doesn't seem so bad....

[​IMG]

7. lradke

Thanks for the input. I'll look into both the TGN and Franks brushes. I'll keep an eye out at the above noted site to see if/when they afre back in stock.

8. lradke

Well I orderd a Franks Synthetic from Star Shaving (price was a factor). The site said they had 1 in stock. I had to act quickly as my wife is heading on a trip in a few days and will be gone for a few weeks, and I want the supplies to arrive while she's gone (to avoid all questions and curiosity). I also decided to pick up a tube of TOBS Avocado from Connaught. I have read a few posts by JoAnna that it is a very good product for women.

If she likes it then that's great...if not, then it's no biggie. She'll be getting it for her birthday next month, So I'll have to let you know what she thinks!

Thanks for all the help!