A Gift From Your Barber

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by LifesShort, Jan 4, 2014.

1. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

I was at an estate sale yesterday and found this bottle of Pinaud Clubman. It's a glass bottle and looks to hold about 2.5 ounces. The thing I find interesting is that the label says "A Gift From Your Barber." Wouldn't it be nice if barbers still gave away bottles of Clubman?

[​IMG]

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice!
    The only 'gift' my older brother & I ever got as kids at the Barber shop was the opportunity to peek at the old Playboy magazines they kept in the magazine rack. :happy036:

3. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

That's funny! I remember seeing them there, but I didn't dare touch them. My father would have killed me on the spot!

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The key was finding the right opportunity . My brother figured out he could insert a Playboy into the larger Life magazine, and no one would be the wiser. ;) Of course, the fold-out was a dead giveaway...

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I always sat next to an old guy, hoping to get just a peek at what he was so fixated on.

6. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:)Howdy! That glass bottle of Clubman was a good find! I wonder when it was made. I have not seen Clubman in glass bottles in a long time. Enjoy! Always, Gene
    PS: When the contents is used up, just transfer the contents of some new into it.

7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

My barber still has Playboy in the magazine rack... and a bottle of Clubman in the shop. A true old-school barber in an old school barbershop.

LifesShort, macaronus and Hanzo like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

My barber still has Playboy as well but I can never look at it as my puritanical 7 year old son is always sitting next to me waiting for his haircut. :angry032:

9. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

Never used a barber, was my fathers and grandfathers thing. More like the over priced style cut with bleach and color :p But I do love the nastalgic aspect of a real gentlmens place and there comforts. My automotive paint supplier for custom stuff has a little hide away store where all the older men sit around and tell car stories. Lovely stack of gentlemen magazines on the table.

Most certainly bums me out over the state of current society and loss of these little things.

LifesShort and HolyRollah like this.
  10. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I was lucky enough to find a small Clubman bottle not too long ago and use it to decant my Clubman. I keep looking for a larger one....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LifesShort and HolyRollah like this.
  11. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

There was someone on the 'Bay a few months ago who had acquired a case of those little promotional bottles and was selling them off. Must be all gone by now. I've looked and looked for a larger glass clubman bottle, but have never found one. Anybody have one they want to sell... :)

LifesShort likes this.
  12. Glaswegian

Glaswegian Member

During a recent trip to the barber, I mentioned I was going to start wet shaving. I also indicated I was going to try out several different blade types to find which suited me. As I was getting ready to leave, he handed me a few Personna blades to try, and said that is what they use. I thought that was pretty cool.

I've only tried 3 different blades, thus far, Derby Extra, Wilkinson Sword(German) and Personna. I definitely prefer the Wilkinson Sword and Personna blades over the Derby, but don't yet have a clear favorite.

LifesShort likes this.
  13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I would settle for decent hair cut. :D