A growing obsession!!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Jake Gibson, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

I'm sure like most everyone here on The Shave Den when I discovered wet shaving I knew it would forever change my grooming routine and habits but I never thought it would turn into an obsession, an amazing, awesome and incredible obsession, but an obsession nonetheless.

I'd love to hear about how you all got started and see your collections.

This is most of my software, I think that's term, after only discovering wet shaving in March of this year. 20201005_212557.jpg

Paladin38201, Keithmax, MR41 and 7 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

very cool.that's a good start..:D

Hembree, Jake Gibson and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Nice stuff!

Hembree and brit like this.
  4. Smudge

Smudge Member

What a lovely little starter kit.

Hembree, brit and John Beeman like this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Kinda looks like my travel kit for a three day weekend

Keithmax, Hembree, brit and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jake Gibson

So the general vibe I'm getting from everyone is that wet shaving becoming an obsession is par for the course, yes? I should ask my wife to clear out the cupboard on the other side of the sink as well? ;)

7. brit

brit in a box

yes sir,or build a closet..:D..i have drawers and shelves all over the house..it can get away from you..:)

8. Jake Gibson

I can definitely see it already starting to get away from me! I just got my package in the mail today from Etsy, I found an antique shop on there that's based out of a town about 25 minutes away from me and the guy gives me some great deals. I picked up these three gems for only $10! The shipping cost was more than that! I believe that's another Simms brush but I'm not 100% and the Old Spice mug is in great shape, I got it to replace the one that's going in my shaving box. 1602002183878853.jpg

9. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Add another room on! :D

Jake Gibson and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

cool score..:cool:

Hembree likes this.
  11. Jake Gibson

More than likely it's going to spill over into our semi/mostly unused office. My writing table already has the remainder of my Gillettes so what's a few dozen straights and 37 3/4 full soaps and splashes as well right fellas??

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Hembree like this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Speaking from experience, do yourself a favor and pick a soap to use until it is finished before purchasing more. This will show you how long soap lasts and also help you become more selective about soaps. My rule was if something wasn't good enough to use every day, it wasn't worth my time at all. It has been a decade since I have been in your position and I am just now finishing up the hoard of soaps. I look forward to actually buying a puck of soap again once this MWF is finished sometime next year.

13. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I started out wanting a cheaper alternative to cartridge razors. I also wanted a better shave because cartridge razors gave me terrible razor burn.

I started doing research and found out about wet shaving so i ordered a vdh soap, bowl, and brush set. Then ordered a Edwin Jagger de89 razor. I knew i found something much better for my skin than the 5 blade razors on the market. I also got a much better shave.

Then i started researching different soaps and brushes. Well after about 9 years of wet shaving i have about 180 soaps. 30 brushes. 20 razors. As you said, it becomes a obsession. Its also a great hobby since as men we have to shave for the rest of our lives.

It started off as a way to save money........... hahahahahahahaha. That didn't work out so well.

14. brit

brit in a box

it turned into a good way to spend it..;)

Hembree and theFAT98 like this.
  15. theFAT98

Lol i agree. Im 37 so i MIGHT finish all this soap in my lifetime.

Hembree and brit like this.
  16. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Don't ask your wife to clear out the cupboard, tell her to clear out of the bathroom, I did and it worked. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

17. brit

brit in a box

that's awesome Stuart.nice collection..:cool:

Jake Gibson and stuartganis like this.
  18. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Thank you

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Jake Gibson and brit like this.
  19. Jake Gibson

I have seen Mecca and it is your bathroom! That is awesome!! But I have a question, what are the dice for?

20. theFAT98

Probably number of shaves on the blade hes using. I could be wrong

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.