A hacking alert that may be nationwide

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by IDuck, Jan 23, 2017.

1. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

So my wife and I kind of came across this by pure luck, but since we have been asking others it has seemed to be widespread...it went from thinking it was a "just us" to "just our coworkers" to "just our city" to "just our state" and potentially nationwide....I bring this up because these people are scum and hide in darkness and by bringing this into somewhat of a light, it may stop them and help others...

so they are going after bank accounts, and are starting small (usually under $5) then progressing to larger dollars...it could be tied to a gmail account (dont watch the news but I guess they have covered it) and in which case if you have been hacked, it would be advised to switch passwords and also if you have a "1 button checkout" on amazon or other websites to delete that option....

I dont want to startle anyone as i HOPE all of what we know to be effected is the extent of it but I dont know and if I could help/prevent anyone from issues that is my only concern...with us it was caught soon (thank GOD)and there were only a few charges...with most effected it starts with roughly $2.50 charge and showed as a Ddpps (no clue what that means) on the statement- which is believed to be a "test" on the account, and then progress' from there....we had friends who were getting amazon charges, credit reports pulled, and bank statement summarys...even had some stop cards and get reports back from bank saying someone was trying to use the cards.

Let me know if you have questions and mods if you do as well. There is a lot more to this that we are finding by the min. Some even "urgent" phone calls. Its really sadbut this is the new world we now live in.

gorgo2 and PLANofMAN like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thank you for this. I'll watch out certainly. I hope AARP members report this to the Fraud Alert(an AARP feature).

3. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

we are literally find more and more out by the minute and how deep/far this is... I will just say that of all the people we have mentioned this to, it has effected about 80% of them. still waiting to hear back from out of state folks though...we found out last night from my wifes work (thats when it all clicked) as we were all together and we have a FBI investigation under way...its really crazy.

4. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Why don't you guys setup another bank account for online shopping instead of your direct money savings account, and only used paypal when buying stuff online that way is connected to your online shopping account and don't buy anything online without paypal because is 100 times safer and 100 times smarter and you won't get scammed.

Paypal well raise a red flag (alarming) if they find any scamming going on and stealing other people money, Paypal will report to the right law enforcement that deal with Serious Organised Scamming

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  5. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

its much deeper then that, and we do...you dont have to just worry about your computer now, it is much more wide spread then that.... I will put it to you this way, the agent who is working this has had the same thing happen to them.

6. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

I don't use a "remember" for my passwords. Except when using Paypal, I use a virtual credit card for my online purchases. It gives me a one time number, one time CVS, expiration date in the next month, and a dollar limit.
    I checked though, no account or CC has any small purchase on them. Thank you for the heads up.

Greg W.