A Jnat Experiment

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Steve56, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1212.jpg IMG_1214.jpg

So with a little free time over the holiday I decided to do an experiment. I have this black cashew-coated asagi and put some Gold Dollar test razors in front of it. I was hoping that they'd have a 2001 moment and learn to be Pumas but nothing's happened yet....

Cheers, Steve

DaltonGang and CastleShave like this.
  2. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Make sure they have passed the tap test. Also are you using an asano Nagura progression? I also like to set the bevel on a 1k synthetic to help as I find it too difficult to set with Botan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I do use a Mikawa progression sometimes, but it doesn't seem to make much different in the end vs the 2k/5k/8k/koma then tomo+finisher. I can see some remaining scratches from the synths that aren't there with the Mikawa progression, but I have seen no difference in the edge quality.

I also always set the bevel on synthetics, the Mikawas or low grit jnats are just too slow for everyday use.

Cheers, Steve

4. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Your definitely right with the cutting speed for bevel setting. I do not recommend it unless you want to continuously re load slurry. For myself I choose to stay as much away from the synthetics as possible only really using my 1k stone. I will go ahead and use Botan Tenyjou Meijro and go to tomo. From there I’ll finish under running water. For the most part I get butter smooth edges. Although I’m having a few issues with some French razors and thinking about busting out the Shaptons. The key I found with honing is that past the 4K stone you are not sharpening so much as polishing. The more polished the edge is the more smooth it gets from my own experience. Now on the contrary when I look at the polish with my synthetics they are definitely shinier more mirrored like. On the Jnat same concept just not as much. The shaptons have a very Aggressive feel(I don’t own naniwa so I can’t comment on those edges although Keith Johnson talks highly of them) the edge at the wrong angle feels very unforgiving. I also noticed that going beyond the 4K stone synthetic and moving to JNAT I still had a synthetic feel. This is why I stopped moving from my 1k and went straight to my JNAT ever since my edges have become just as sharp but a lot more comfortable.
    Each hone I find has a strategy but I do not move to the next progression until I feel like the stone is trying to suck the razor down. This really helps me say ok let’s add some water see if we can get a little more out of her. If you notice the strokes aren’t changing in feel after that. It is sort of a signal to say next progression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk