A Little Perspective

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I picked up this beautiful NOS Aristocrat set at an antique shop for $75.00 and, just recently, watched an auction for an NOS Slim end at eBay. Based on this this, two things come to mind:

1) How good was the deal I got?

2) How much would my razor fetch on eBay? (Not that I would ever sell it)

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Dude, you are FAR too obsessed with this stuff. It's just a razor. :)

Going to go hide now.

:scared003

3. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

JUST A RAZOR?!!!

*Hack* *Cough* *Choke* *Sputter*

You're too much, man! :happy102

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Ok, it's just an OLD razor. :rolleyes: They are ALL "just razors".

It's only a shave, man.

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Michael, Michael, Michael.... Do you really want to get me started on this, Mr. camera collector? :D

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Camera collector? Say what? I have a 5 year old point and shoot and just bought an SLR. Some collection.

7. Pokerstar

Pokerstar New Member

And the Mona Lisa is just a painting,

A Ferrari is just a car

HA! :)

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

You know, there was a thread (Damned if I can find it now!) where you mentioned the SLR you ordered, but were already eyeballing some other camera related items. Admit it, Michael. We all have our little "addictions" - mine just happens to be razors.

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

No they're not. But THAT adds "a little perspective"! :cool:

10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I'm closer to Michael's perspective, but even so, I think you paid a fair price for that aristocrat. But I would shave with it.

I would never pay 115 USD for a razor that originally sold for a buck .75. I'd take that money and buy a mergress and a brush. Or a parker 91r and a nice brush. Or keep my nice antique razor and blow the money on gas for my car...

I think the buyer got taken and that the seller got lucky to find someone so foolish to pony up that much for a razor that originally sold for less than two bucks.

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

yeah, $75 on your set is like finding a cased fatboy for $2 That was a great buy. I guess what I am saying is, will you take $100 for it?

And to think, I was ecstatic to find this NOS set:
    [​IMG]

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Price is based on what it's worth to you. If you are happy, I'm happy you are happy! I think it was a bit pricy because I tend to side with Michael. I've bought a ton of razors over the years. I would buy a cheap one to try it and if I liked it replace it with one of good (not great) quality. That kind of quality, being a complete set, put it in the safe for your children's education. :D Shirley there will never be a razor recession! :rolleyes:

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Who's Shirley?

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

:happy102

15. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Think $75 was too pricey? How about a more "apple to apple" comparison? Something like this transcends mere razor collecting -- this is a bonafide unused antique item for which there is a great likelihood that no more sets like this even exist.

CLICK ME

16. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I'm certain, if the right crowd saw it you could get up to 4x what you paid... I don't think I'd sell it as long as I wasn't in dire need of cash... But it's all in the eye of the beholder, most people that walk this earth probably think we are complete nutters, the lot of us... :p

17. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Well, son-of-a-gun! Somebody does understand my point of view! We're not the nutters, they are! :D

18. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Glad you found your support group. :rolleyes:

19. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Thank goodness! We all need them! :D

20. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

Good razors are a much better investment than Beanie Babies. Before you say that I'm damning with praise that's too faint, I'll tell you that I talked to at least one person who thought that her Beanies would help fund her granddaughter's college education.