A New Generation 4 Synthetic Brush - Introducing the Frank Shaving Pur-Tech

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Jun 14, 2013.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is different than the Plisson in two ways: the generation of fiber used and the thickness of the fiber.

The Plisson uses Generation 3 fibers but they are very thin. So it tends to be more loose (some say floppy). When tightly bunched in the hand, the ends of the tips when dry still tend to be individually defined. The construction techniques and thin fibers allow for it to behave more like a silver tipped badger brush.

The Pur-Tech uses Generation 4 fibers that are thicker. They tend to have more backbone than the Plisson models. When tightly bunched in the hand, the ends of the tips when dry tend to feel more like a solid pillow. Much less individual definition. The construction techniques and thin fibers allow for it to behave more like a two band badger brush.

The original L'Occitance Plisson at around $30-50 depending upon when it was purchased was an O.K. price. The current Plisson models starting at around $65 USD to $260 USD at the time of this response becomes not so good of a deal in my opinion.

I hope this helps your understanding of the differences.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Gary,
    After reading your wonderfully informative posts I learned a lot about synthetic brushes. Today I found this TSE video comparing a Pur-Tech brush to a Whipped Dog Synthetic.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. Peter Martin

Peter Martin New Member

Nice Post that I wanted ever.