A New Shaving Soap & A New Place To Get It

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by S Barnhardt, Aug 30, 2019.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Before I get into this, keep in mind I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve on the niceties of shaving regularly in general and with a brush and razor in particular. I've been maintaining a full "Santa Beard the last 6-8 years and had no real need to shave beyond a random trim.

I recently bought a first venture, for me, into getting for myself a shaving soap that didn't come from the drugstore, or grocery store. It came from a local wife/husband pair that launched a "handmade" soap venture a couple, or so, years ago in what used to be a small office building here in town. They quickly outgrew that, bought an "old" hardware store building across the street, renovated it, and moved in. But that's a whole other story that doesn't fit in with "shaving", per se. The place is called "Old Town Soap Co." www.oldtownsoapco.com And on FB -- Old Town Soap Co

I bought from them a screw top tin of a scent called by them "The Cowboy." Pictures will be posted.

OK............ I used this soap for the first time this morning and the first impressions from an admitted newbie to the process are favorable. The scent in nice. It has a very nice "leather" scent. Not in a perfumed leather kind of way, but commensurate with the cowboy expectation.

The lathering was OK. I say OK because, like I said, I'm not experienced with using soap such as this and a brush. My brush is an Omega #20248. It has been used before, but not all that much. I soaked the brush for 5-10 minutes in warm water prior to use and shook it out. Loaded the brush to what I thought was sufficient and applied it to my face. I'm thinking I had it too dry, so I "rewet" the brush and went back at it again. Better results, so I"m going to say the lathering of this soap is OK with better results expected as I, myself, become more adept at the process.

Finished things off with Aqua Velva Musk, which is literally all I have for AS at the moment I'm working toward adding to that aspect.

All in all, I'm satisfied with my first use of this soap. They have many othre scents that I"m looking forward to trying.

From a "newbie" open to suggestions from those of you with more experience with this.........Thanks for your time!

the cowboy - old town soap co smaller.jpg inside - the cowboy - old town soap co smaller.jpg the cowboy ingredients.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  2. Jesseix

Jesseix Active Member

Thanks for sharing. Do they have any ingredients list on the tin?

3. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing any Shave Soap on their site. So it must be new, or just not put up yet.

Is it a hard Soap or softer? Each Soap has it's own characteristic for lathering, ratio of water, etc. Keep trying and you'll get the hang of this one.

4. S Barnhardt

They do! I just added a picture of the back of the tin to the original post.

5. S Barnhardt

I'd say hard, but not having much experience with this, I'm not sure what passes for hard or soft, if that makes any sense to you!

No, it's not on their website. That being said, they have so much stuff in the shop, there's a lot that's not on there. They don't yet have AS to go along with the shave soaps. I was just up there this morning to check on that for myself. They are looking into it, but haven't come up with a process to make it yet. I hope they do soon.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    brit likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm putting the dots together-you're the one who asked about recommendations for leather aftershaves, right? (The person mentioned having a soap called "Cowboy" or perhaps "The Cowboy" as you state here).

brit likes this.
  7. S Barnhardt

I am the same person. That is alright isn't it? I've been around enough forums to know there are stated rules, and "understood" rules.

brit likes this.
  8. Paul Turner

Oh, what I wrote had nothing to do with rules.....just my memory :). I'll look into this company.

S Barnhardt and brit like this.
  9. S Barnhardt

They have more items than they show on the website. Easy enough to call them. They're receptive.

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. Paul Turner

Right....I just might do that. They mention having shaving soaps, but I didn't see any on the website.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  11. S Barnhardt

They have number of scents in both puck form and the tins like I bought. Check their website for phone number and days/hours of operation. I think they might be closed on Mondays, but I"m not sure.

www.oldtownsoapco.com

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I hate to be the one to say it, but this ingredient list doesn't look particularly great, for me anyway. The first ingredient is coconut oil, which can really dry the skin and the rest of the list gets even more complicated. While I am a "Tallow"-man, I can appreciate a well-made vegan soap.
    If you are searching for "vegan" soaps, may I suggest Soap Commander, or WSP (Wet Shaving Products).
    Here is an ingredient list from the WSP Barbershop soap: Stearic Acid, Water, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Shea Butter, & Fragrance.
    Yes, there's coconut oil, because for saponification, you have to some "fat", but at least it's not #1.
    Here's SC Endurance ingredient list: Stearic Acid, Distilled Water, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Fragrance.
    You'll notice right away, these two manufacturers start with Stearic acid.
    Just my opinion, and if you are getting great results, feel free to ignore this post.

13. S Barnhardt

I would "never ignore" anyone's thoughts and advice, so don't think that. I'm open to all avenues. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for the future.

14. S Barnhardt

What do you feel is/are the pluses of a tallow soap and a vegan soap?

Right now in my shaving journey, I'm more focused on finding things I "like" than any other consideration. By saying that though I'm not wanting to dismiss what are other considerations. My mind is open irregardless of what my wife may say at times!

brit and Primotenore like this.
  15. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

If you are looking for things you like; I highly suggest picking up some samples, and some empty containers. The reason you want empty containers is so that you can press your Shave Soap samples in and get a proper surface area for loading your brush.

Soap Commander (mentioned above) has some really good products, and all their standard Shave Soaps are available in sample form.

Another brand that is really good is Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA), they have a plethora of classic and modern scents, and have (possibly) the best vegan based Shave Soaps (CK-6) on the market. PAA has a few Shave Soap samples, but also have nearly all their scents available in Aftershave samples.

Lastly; Check out Maggards, they are a vendor whom put Shave Soaps and Aftershaves into sample form. Many of the products they carry are available in their samples. Also they resell the empty containers, and will send you (if requested) specific ones that have enough soap for maybe a use.

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Tallow, for me, provides a very slick, protective lather, which never dries my skin out. IMO, the best post-shave feels are from tallow soaps.
    I have no moral problem with animal products, i.e. tallow, badger, boar, mink, filet mignon, etc.

brit likes this.
  17. S Barnhardt

A "personal" addendum as it applies to "lathering" in particular and with this particular soap.

Things they are improving. I've been reading various and sundry posts about "how to" and watched a YouTube video about how to. Made a real conscious effort with yesterday's shave to follow what I'd read and seen and danged if things didn't work out the best they have so far. I spent more time loading my brush with more pressure on the brush. Made more of an effort to "dribble" water on the brush along in the process and spent more time working the lather up. Plus, after reading some posts here, I'm wondering if my brush was needing to be broken in more. End result was it was the best I've accomplished in the process, so far.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post in the past and will continue to post in the future. It's the willingness to offer thoughts, comments, etc. that set this forum apart from many I've seen in other places!

brit, Paul Turner and BlueShaver like this.