A nice Joseph Allan & Sons

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by JPJ, Sep 1, 2014.

1. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

Stamped :

NON - XXL
    Joseph Allen & Sons
    Sheffield England

Spine to blade: .66

Ebay ~$10 shipped

Before :
    image.jpg

After:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Came out pretty good... I didn't go nuts and get it perfect but it's 95%... Going to try deer antler scales I think ...

2. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

Honed this morning while watching Simpsons marathon... Diamond course through strop ... Passed hanging hair test... Somewhat uneven hone, some areas show slightly wider sharpened area ... I'm guessing that's a technique thing .... ?
    image.jpg

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

the results you had on the Allen may be due to technique, but also any hone wear (hard to really see in the photo if there is any) present can contribute to the unevenness of the edge. If the spine is good, then it becomes more of how you're honing. I venture to guess you're applying an uneven pressure stroke, creating the results seen in your last photo.
    I'm not experienced enough to counsel on correcting this issue, so perhaps someone such as Glen can offer a solution.

4. JPJ

JPJ Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Pretty good results... I'm not sure what kind of wood that is .... I finished with a bit of oil ... I think it's cedar ... Some flaws but nothing major .. Having fun :)

Tiddle likes this.
  5. Tiddle

Tiddle Member

You did really well. I believe its hone wear at play here; looking at the before pic above it looks as if the spine has been worn more in the center of the blade. Looks like maybe whomever honed it over time may have set a finger or two in the center, or using an untrue stone (not flattened).