A sad sight

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Baron, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Baron

Baron New Member

I was up in VT/NH over the weekend and stopped in at my mother's (she wanted to see the new car). We took a ride up the road from her to some friend's property (all wooded area, a maintained dirt road, and then class 6 town roads). The destruction from the weather the past couple weeks is jaw dropping. I didn't have my camera... but the number of trees uprooted and snapped in half is amazing. A view that used to be impossible to see through even in winter without leaves suddenly looks wide open and sparse. There were trees with a 5-6 foot diameter completely uprooted or snapped. The neighbor's barn had the roof torn off, and estimates he lost over a million board feet of wood, easily. They apparently had microbursts up to 100 mph, which sounds right since it looks like they just had a bunch of tornado's touch down throughout the forest. I can't imagine the sound it must have made, to be sitting in your home with the trees snapping around you, never sure of where the next one will land and hoping it's not on your house.

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Glad your mother was OK. Mother nature can do far more damage then we can at times. I'll take a couple of small earthquakes over hurricanes, tornadoes, nor' easters and massive flash flooding from t-storms any day.

3. Baron

Baron New Member

(I think you're the only one that responds to my posts anymore! Or the last few anyway... :) )

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Not so, Michael! :) I still get around to most of the posts eventually!

Glad your Mom wasn't hurt in all that.

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Good to hear your mother was alright, Michael!
    I for myself know what destruction storms can do - we had the exact same sight at the beginnig of this year when an extremely powerful storm hit us. :eek:

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

::poze
    Youre a good son, Michael.
    Watch out for your Mom while you can.
    Hopefully the rest of the season will be kind to them.