A Scotch tumbler

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by burnWood, Sep 26, 2011.

1. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

I am not a drinker but I do pretend to be a distinguished adult every so often. I have a bottle of Glenfiddich scotch and drink out of a Flintstones glass. I would like to find a nice scotch glass that makes me feel regal. any suggestions from you who live the good life would be appreciated.

Dridecker, Nick A and battle.munky like this.
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

That is awesome!

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Hrmmm... If you have another Flintstones glass to trade, I will trade it for one of my Dewar's glasses!

burnWood likes this.
  4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I will be watching to see what is recommended. I would like to get a nice set of glassware and a crystal decanter for my bourbon, but am not really sure where to look.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I tell you what Bro... I have a crystal decanter and four crystal glasses, all with the Denver Bronco on them... up for trades!

6. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

Macy's sells Waterford Crystal! But It doesn't come cheap.

[​IMG]

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

:eatdrink013: That Flintstones mug is sounding pretty nice. ;)

burnWood likes this.
  8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Flintstones mug is probably the best you will get. I would say if you just want a nice tubler check out a local store that sells glasses and pick up some for cheap. I have me some 12 year glenfidich and drink it my father got me started he prefers the 18yr old. Anyways... we both just drink out of Canadian scotch glasses, we enjoy our scotch but the glass doesn't have much to do with it (as long as it is glass... not plastic). For me it is the scotch first then the company im drinking it with. Unless you as SWMBO then its the other way. :).

Basically just get any glass that is a nice tumbler and you think you will enjoy. If its the Flintstones more power to you... and please not plastic :).

burnWood likes this.
  9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

In the old days whiskey glasses were cut glass and had straight sides because most whiskey smelled so bad you didn't want to smell it...But now with Single-malt Scotch so popular they have designed glasses to help you get the most enjoyment from your scotch...Here is a link:
    http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/how-to-drink.htm

I'm with Regan, the company and the scotch and the music we are listening to...so many things are more important than the glass...But if you want to know about the most popular Scotch glasses...then that link will hip you to the latest...and they do channel the fumes for professional sniffing...:))

burnWood likes this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

11. Seamus

Seamus Member

And just what's wrong with the Flintstone's glass? You take a sip and say, "Yabba dabba doo!" What's classier than that?

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

It's sounding like The Flintstones may be our snifter of choice :biggrin:

Now go ahead and cut the legs off some jeans and find an old toilet to put on your porch for a chair, have a seat, and get to sippin'! :happy102:

swarden43 likes this.
  13. burnWood

well thank you all. the flintstones glass is lovely but does not leave me in the mood. the mood of broodiness that is.

and no denver broncos stuff would ever enter this house. Kansas City Chiefs all the way.

14. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

There was a post about Lisbon Scotch glasses and I ordered two; they are excellent and were not that expensive as well as I remember. I cannot seem to find the thread where we ordered them from but they are crystal and as long as you do not mind the etched Lisbon being on the barrel of the glass, they are just the thing. Also, Lennox has very reasonably priced crystal glasses at some of the outlet stores, I have found. They are very classy and a fraction of the price of the Waterford, Swarski, etc.

burnWood likes this.
  15. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I just found two Glenfiddich glasses in my bar, so they must offer these as well but cannot remember where I bought them. Quite a few years ago I bought several because they were crystal and had a wonderful bar glass shape and some had the real heavy solid crystal base that would not bump over easily. Those glasses with the narrow bottoms are just not designed well and "tipsy"....guess that says something about me:ashamed001:

16. burnWood

The Glencairn glass is looking lovely. Over across the street at the B&B they had their own version a while back. Now they got me looking at those chill rocks too. Mind you, I repeat, I am not a drinker. It will take me a couple years to finish one bottle of scotch.

rodd likes this.
  17. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

View attachment 20862 DSC04292.JPG View attachment 20862

The glasses are the Lisbon, a Glenfiddich, and a Royal Crown in the first picture; the second has three Royal Crown and an Avon Wild Ducks glass from the various sets that I bought many years ago.

Attached Files:

18. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have a set of the Glencairn glasses, and while they are nice for some straight Whiskey, rarely do I have a drink neat. They are too small for something with ice or even water.

19. cohiba

cohiba Member

Peir One
    Bed Bath and Beyond
    Wiliams Sonoma
    Nice Jewelry Stores
    Dillards/Macys

**Goodwill & Salvation Army sometimes have some pretty nice sets**
    Antique stores for razors and glasses

If its Scotch you like here is a pretty cool web-site..review site from a true Scottish person. Ralfy's whisky reviews...this guy has a sense of humor AND does a pretty good review of true Scotch!!
    http://www.whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/

If you ever start to drink American Whiskey/Bourbon...my buddy Jason has a really neat review website!! Sour Mash Manifesto.....................http://sourmashmanifesto.com/

Now that you've got the drink down, its time for a good smoke....Cuban and Noncuban!!!

Cohiba

20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Scotch glasses, also depend on how you drink your Scotch, myself I am a Scotch & Rocks man, peferably chipped or rough ice. The glass needes a heavy bottom and must have the right sound when jiggled ... Although not as important as the Friends or the Scotch it does add a certain enjoyment to the moment...
    Now if that Flinstones glasses has the right sound then by all means don't change it :)