A short survey

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Medicdad417, Aug 17, 2015.

?

Do you bloom your soap?

1. Almost always

20.3%
  2. Sometimes

30.4%
  3. Never

30.4%
  4. What is blooming

18.8%
  1. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I'm rather fond of shave sticks too, and DR Harris is one of the best. It is my top choice together with the Sir Irisch Moos stick. Wonderful stuff and I just love the Marlborough scent

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Your method looks most effective!

3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I assume the term "blooming" made its way into the shaving world from the cooking term. Soaking things like yeast and gelatin in water is called "blooming". I dunno, I guess you could say "marinate" but that usually involves some kind of acid.

PLANofMAN, Bama Samurai and mrchick like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One does 'bloom' yeast—soaking it in water to activate in order to expedite making it useful.
    One scores bread dough and allows the loaf to 'bloom' before baking—expand to its fullest prior to heat.
    So, soaking a puck in water does both soften and often expand the puck to larger 'swollen' size to fill a container.
    Arguably, this method could be referred to as 'blooming' a puck, such as illustrated in Planofman's thread on MWF Hydration.

and no, wearing bloomers is not a necessary requirement for the process. :eek::ashamed001:

PLANofMAN, mrchick and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I will going forward refer to soaking my soap in some water as "floraisoning my soap.
    I tell you, a few years from now you'll hear all the cool kids using it.

Well, I'm off to shower and may be floraisoning my soap for a bit.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy102::happy097::happy102::happy097:

7. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

I'm a bloomer---hard to change 50+ year old habits!

8. swarden43

Just curious, has it always been known as "blooming "? If not, what did you call it and when did you first hear it called "blooming"?

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Getting my soap wet first

10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

What is "blooming"? If a soap blooms, does it then go to seed?

mrchick likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Yes. Just water the seed like normal, then you have more soap after a season.

Shaver X, mrchick and Metro like this.
  12. Jhymel

Jhymel Member

depends on the soap for me..

13. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

I used to bloom more frequently before, but have found that a well soaked (ie hardly emptied of water) brush gets me the same result. To the extent that I do bloom, it's MWF. I may also just throw a few drops on top, swirl the tin a little and let it sit while I shower.

14. Shaver X

So "blooming" a soap is done solely to increase its volume and make it last longer?

15. swarden43

It will actually shorten the lifespan. It makes the soap softer which makes it easier to pick up more soap, thus creating more lather.

Bama Samurai, Shaver X and mrchick like this.
  16. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

If your soap is anything other than completely dry when you first apply the brush to it, congratulations, you've bloomed it, hydrated it, moistened it, etc.

Shaver X and Tdmsu like this.
  17. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I like to put water on the soap and load with a dry brush. It doesn't seem wasteful to me, as I don't need to soak the brush - I mostly use a HIS synthetic, but this method works great with my Simpsons Colonel, too.

mrchick likes this.
  18. Shaver X

Oh ok, so that's what it is. I just put water into the brush and then swirl it on the soap. To my way of thinking, if a soap has to be soaked in order to get it to work well, either a different soap or a different brush is in order. Ditto with corking blades and other such things. I am of the no fuss, no muss, it should just work shaving school.

mrchick and Tdmsu like this.
  19. Petty3347

Petty3347 Well-Known Member

This was a very humerus and entertaining thread to read through at work

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011: