A short survey

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Medicdad417, Aug 17, 2015.

?

Do you bloom your soap?

1. Almost always

20.3%
  2. Sometimes

30.4%
  3. Never

30.4%
  4. What is blooming

18.8%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

No, blooming is done to produce flowers and seed, so we have more soap next year! ;)

Halvor likes this.
  2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Only with a hard soap that hasn't been wet in a while.

3. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I sometimes do it with hard soaps in the amount of time it takes me to shower or prepare me shave. I don't think its wasteful unless you puck lather or load aggressively. I find it helps loading especially with a softer floppier brush on harder soaps.
    BTW I've heard of blooming the brush (soaking it in water and the knot sort of opens up when you take it out & shake it off) & bloom water (the water where the brush was soaking usually on top of the soap) but not the term blooming with water on the soap alone.

4. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Ha! Remove co(n)text and theres plenty to pun on. Being such a mature person, I will, however, refrain from doing so ;)

5. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Halvor likes this.
  6. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I bloom my hard soaps but I don't soak them -- instead I just put several drops of hot water on the surface and let it bloom while the brush is soaking. It is probably un-necessary for most soaps (I use shave sticks frequently and never bother to bloom them) but I've developed the blooming habit and I feel like it is beneficial to some degree.

I think it's a bit like the hot, wet cloth placed on the beard prior to the shave -- pleasant and beneficial, but not really necessary.

7. Morning Shave

Morning Shave Well-Known Member

Very interesting and entertaining thread. I add a few drops on top of MWF or Tabac
    before showering to create lather easier and faster. It works for me.

8. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

What he said is what I do.