A Swede just took my cherry ...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bussemand, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

...straight shaving cherry that is. :D

My neck is burning a bit, but i only have myself to blame. After the 2nd pass i got so dissapointed in the lack of gore, that i started chopping away with my Heljestrand, like some crazed samurai with a vengeance.

I was a little nervous before i started, but that all went away as soon as the blade touched my skin. On account of my stropping skills, the straight could have been deadlier, but overall i'd have to say that there are easyer ways to cut ones head off.

I had as much fun with this as when i first started wetshaving with the DE, and i highly recommend others give it a try!

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Congrats! Hope it gets better for you!

3. I just had my first experience with a straight today too!

The only straight I have at the moment is a restored Boker and I managed to draw a little blood with it, but I did make a couple of passes regardless.

The shave itself was not as good as what I get with a DE, but over time I imagine I will be getting better and better shaves with a straight to the point of having BBS every day. That's what they tell me anyway.

I already love it.

4. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

I started experimenting with a straight about a week ago. Today I did the first three pass shave with no DE touch ups. Not anywhere as close as what I can do with a DE, but it comes with a real feeling of accomplishment. Today there was ZERO blood. First time that happened!
    Stropping is KEY! I need to learn how to hone. I have two razors now (a third on the way), both came "shave ready" and did a fine job of it. One, however was noticeably sharper and more "smooth" through the tough whiskers around my chin. Pretty cool to notice the differences.
    Great, another form of SRAD.

5. Bussemand

I agree. Stropping is a key element and i need to get better at it.
    I'm trying to restrain myself from buying another straight :D at least until i know what i'm doing, but there are some nice ones out there with wooden scales that keeps haunting me. :drool The scales on the one i have are too soft (celluloid).

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Gisle, I used to love shaving with a straight razor before I developed cataracts in my eyes. I had surgery on one of them, and once I get the other eye done, hopefully, I'll go back to straight-shaving.

7. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Ah, so that's what ZMKA stands for. Now I know :)
    keep practicing

8. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Congrats to all of you. It only gets better with practice.

Jordan

9. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I thouoght that was "Zeepk Makes Krap rAzors" :p

10. Bussemand

I'm glad to hear you're getting treatment and i hope you'll get back to the straight again soon.
    Just got back from my parents, where my mom told me to go get checked for glaucoma, as she seems to be developing it and it's hereditary :mad:

11. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Swedish steel and Swedish razors makes me proud of my heritage...

12. Bussemand

If only the scales on my Swedish steel weren't so damn soft and wobbly...:D

My great grandfather, Magnus, was Swedish.

13. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Best of both worlds then, both Danish and Swedish! :D

14. Bussemand

Well...Sadly there's some Norwegian in there as well :D

15. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

My condolances ;)

16. Bussemand

If you think that's bad...I'm born and raised in Norway as well.

17. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Well, I'm sure you know all about Swedes and Norweigans... a hate-love, intertweened by history... Much the same with the Swedes-Danes...

18. Bussemand

We should team up against the Finnish!