A Tale of a 1918 Gillette

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joe Nobles, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

Today just for kicks I reved up my 1918 khaki kit Gillette. This is a great piece of shave history. For my shave I loaded a Wilkinson Sword (German).

1529632955968930357312.jpg 15296338724781760773663.jpg 1529634047833-1228036072.jpg
    So as per my normal routine of showering, lathering up and getting down to it I went ahead with this 1918 blast from the past!

Now as many of you know these are totally BA shavers, open comb and aggressive. The soap I shaved with was Stirling Gentleman and the brush was my large badger hair.

Aside from a few nicks around my Adam's Apple the shave was great.

There's two things about this razor that I'd like to clear up, the first is, how do I avoid the nicks I don't get them from any other razor execpt my 1924 Ever Ready Shovel Head and I think it may be from the same cause. The second and this too is a common problem again with the Ever Ready, the area between my Adam's Apple and jaw line feels raw and it stings when I use my alum block. These are the only two razors I have this problem with.

Any suggestions?

Paul Turner, Jayaruh, Jack19 and 2 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It is all about pressure and angle. With the OLD you are probably losing the angle. Be sure your stretching the skin good. The same with the ER. Those should not be nicking you at all. Good stretching...light pressure. Are you sure of the direction your beard grows in those areas?

Nice razor too. Better looking then my 1918. Are you sure a German blade in a razor from just after WWI is a good idea? :transport024::D

brit, Jack19, GatorJoe and 3 others like this.
  3. Joe Nobles

Well if it wasn't German it would be Russian, lol

4. Joe Nobles

Hey Fuzzy, thanks for the tips I'll be sure to give that a go.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome. I have a shave video with the 1918 and one with a 1908 single ring on my youtube. There might also be a 1924 on there.

6. Joe Nobles

Cool what is your YouTube channel? I'll check it out.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

AlDm likes this.
  8. Jack19

Jack19 Member

Very nice wartime razor. :happy096:

I have a J serial number, but it came in a miss-matched case from the 1920s. Your's is a great case. What's your razor's serial number?

Best advice I can give is to not do too many passes, keep a fresh blade, use a light touch, and take your time. I use a more mild blade in mine, Astras or Personna Crystals, or Reds. The early Gillette open combs are the best shaving razors I own.

Shave with it once in awhile so you stay familiar with the technique and characteristics. I grabbed my 1916 Single Ring the other day; more weepers than usual.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I used to not get good shaves with the Old Types until I learned about riding the cap. It is all about angle with those razors. Too much angle = aggressive. Start with the cap on your skin and rotate the handle down until the blade contacts your skin. Then use that "shallow" angle and light pressure to shave. You will avoid blood and get a great shave. Generally, too much angle will draw blood or create irritation.
    BTW the original Gillettes were touted as adjustable razors. The original three hole blades were thicker and stiff, and tightening the handle would decrease the "gap" and aggression.

brit likes this.
  10. Joe Nobles

My razor does not have a number just the logo. I got it from Razor Emporium so I'm sure of it's date and authenticity. I was under the impression that there was a time when serial numbers stopped being used, then in the mid '40's they went to the date codes. I could be wrong.

11. Jack19

Jack19 Member

Joe, my apologies, I assumed it was wartime issue from the case.

12. Joe Nobles

@Jack19, is that your TARDIS? I've always wanted one, where did you get it? Wink, wink nudge, nudge.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Since someone else brought this up. A 1918 should have a serial number.

http://www.razoremporium.com/gillette-date-codes/

14. Joe Nobles

Yes you are correct Fuzzy, here is what Razor Emporium told me when I asked:

"The khaki razor is a ball end old type. It was made from 1917-1931. The serial numbering on it stopped in 1921. When we make these sets up we put the correct model in it but keep in mind this correct model has 4 years of serial numbering and 10 years without.
    Thx
    Matt "

So that's the deal it's the kind of thing where they are going for the look with a Khaki set (reproduction set) but it is a damn good razor either way.

15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Jack19 likes this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It is a veddy veddy nice set. I did not mean in anyway to take away from that. Those OLDs shave great too!!

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

18. Joe Nobles

19. Jack19

Jack19 Member

20. Jack19

Jack19 Member

Stole it. :D