A word of caution for an ebay auction.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by chimes13, Nov 11, 2008.

1. chimes13

chimes13 New Member

This info is posted on another board, but I know there are some big ebayers here that don't use any other forums so just wanted to give a heads up....

I'm not telling anyone not to bid, but I previously won this razor.

I think it is the only razor I have ever asked to return. It is currently relisted using this pic: [​IMG]

Here's what is wrong with it... The case has deep dents on it almost like someone chiseled it for some apparent reason. The lining inside is basically totally loose which is not a big deal b/c it can be glued back down. I almost fixed it before I returned the razor but I was pissed so I didn't.

The razor itself has one deep scratch going across both silo doors. One side of the teeth is badly brassed. The TTO has broken in that it unscrews fully out (same problem seen on many 30s US aristos). That isn't even the worst part though. When you push the knob up after it is unscrewed the silo doors don't open evenly or even easily. Something is bent somewhere.

In the end I would have probably kept the razor to try and fix it and use, but not at the price that was paid. The condition is seriously poor.

The seller was reluctant to offer a refund and made me explain to him in detail what is wrong with the razor. He finally agreed but I am still waiting on the funds to be returned.

Just trying to look out for you guys, don't want you to pay high and be dissapointed as I was. Best of luck!

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Thanks for the info. Its already over $100 in the new auction. Somebodys going to be seriously angry.

3. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Thanks for the heads up!

4. chimes13

chimes13 New Member

The link to the auction (in my post) where it's $100 is the one I won it for. The current auction is at $9.99. I didn't want to post a live link.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Ohh. You must be mad than.

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I'd wait for my money and then report the new auction to ebay. Some guys will do everything to make money...

7. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

Thanks for the post. Here is the verbiage from the current auction (emphasis not in original). Seems to have more disclosure than before, but probably still inadequate.

"You are buying a Gillette Safety Razor with case. The razor was made in England by Gillette in the 1930's. The patten number is 430030. The metal case is lined with a maroon fabric and has dents. The razor is used, there are scratches, some brassing on comb and when opening, the "knob" will twist down if upward pressure is not applied. There is a "retainer" missing that causes this. I am not a razor expert, but this maybe a simple fix. In the bottom is a hinged "holder". It holds the bottom of the razor when closed and may hold blades in the back. Please look at picture and make your own judgement."​

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Thanks for the heads up! I was watching that one, but wouldn't have bid anyway -- I lost interest at "dents in the case".

9. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

The lovely bay horror stories. I have only gotten 2 razor which I had to throw away....very cheap though. At least the new desc. is a bit more accurate?

10. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

sometimes dents give it charm. who knows, maybe (in earlier razors) the case was knocked off a table during a prohibition era gunfight or something...