ABC - Another Brush Creation

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Jun 30, 2012.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, it seems that we have been talking about the PC Woodcraft horse hair brush of late.

After reading Bob's (Battle Munky) review, I decided to go ahead and use this knot to see what I had.

I was preparing a handle in advance and decided to go with an aged weathered stained look. After a time of sanding, staining and coating the handle inside and out with three layers of Minwax® Polycrylic®, I decided to match up the handle with the horse hair knot.

Out of all the knots that I have dealt with on the install side, this one is the weirdest looking in terms of symmetry. I gave it two preparatory shampoo washes to remove any remaining dyes and to reduce the horse scent before installing.

I did not put any nickels in for ballast, but used two hex nuts and a small bolt in the center hole and used E6000 clear waterproof cement glue to hold it in place. After that dried, I placed the knot in with E6000 and worked the knot in as far as I could to get the loft down to 53 mm.

Here is the final product which has not been broken in yet.

[​IMG]

I more than likely will not be able to break this in or use it until late this week or maybe next week given all the activities that are scheduled. I will let you know how it performs.

Hanzo and oscar11 like this.
  2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I like the looks of the knot. I was toying with the idea of 48-50mm for the loft. I'll be waiting to see what you think of yours.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The only concern I have is the center which I have seen go awry in many horse hair brushes. I think they (knot makers) need to pack more hairs into each knot to keep the center hole from occurring so much with them.

Hanzo likes this.
  4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

That knot looks soft.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It is soft. It is softer than my Vie Long when I compare them while dry.