About to take the plunge!

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jthampson2, Jul 20, 2014.

1. jthampson2

jthampson2 New Member

So the lady friend gave me an AoS starter kit for christmas and I've been using that for the past couple of months. As most of you know, the brush is beyond tiny and while I've been able to make some pretty good lather, I think I could benefit from an upgraded brush. After doing a ton of research and reading, I am leaning to towards a WD silvertip. 30mm may be a little big, so I was thinking about the 24mm and having it set deep (whatever Larry recommends?). Seeing as it only be my first brush, I'm sure I'll be buying more and a 30mm will probably be coming in the near future.

What do you guys think? I remember reading something about a WD bamboo handle - anyone have pictures of this? Couldn't find anything on the site.

gracias!

2. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

jthampson2 likes this.
  3. jthampson2

jthampson2 New Member

4. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I've had my 24mm x 48mm Silvertip for just over week. I highly recommend it. It is fantastic.

[​IMG]

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like to recommend the Semogue 1305 for a great boar. It is soft and has backbone.
    semogue_brush8.jpg

6. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

It's funny, the one thing I have never purchased is a good brush. I usually just use whatever comes in the cereal box. Currently using VDH boar and badger's that were in my Cap'n Crunch.

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have a WD silvertip (22mm) and I love it.

8. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

I think that most 30mm brushes are too large. I recommend a smaller one, around 20-24mm. Also, I think you may be happier with a deep set brush, especially if it is a large one. I currently have a 22mm WD set deep and love it. I used to have a 24mm set to a normal depth, but found it was too floppy for me, so I gave it away in a pif. Maybe we can get a comment on floppyness for a non-deep set 24mm WD from @jpb437 .

9. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Everyone has different preferences. I like the larger knots but that's just me. If was going to set a WD silvertip, it would be sub 2 to 1 ratio (for me personally).
    If you experiment the the exact same knot , the only way to get more backbone or less floppiness is to shorten the the loft.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  10. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

You know, I regret putting off asking you to make me a brush. I used to say to myself, "No rush. He'll be around forever, jsut get one when I'm ready." Yea, that worked out well.

11. jthampson2

jthampson2 New Member

Thanks for all the input guys.. I pulled the trigger and sent payment for a black handled 24mm x 47mm silvertip. Can't wait to get it and try it out

VedderLG likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Using a 'good' brush certainly enhances the enjoyment of a shave. It doesn't have to the be plushest, priciest, or trendiest—so long as it does the job adequately in developing and applying lather. Some shavers collect brushes, and have invested thousands in extensive collections. I don't get that, but more power to 'em if it brings them joy. I enjoy having a decent variety of makes and styles, but I suppose I'm just not a 'brush' guy.

13. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Great choice! Enjoy!

jthampson2 likes this.
  14. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Well... since you already pulled the trigger n stuff, this is a suggestion for your NEXT brush...

Omega Pro 10098
    [​IMG]

I also have the Pro 10049, which has the same knot on a "barrel" handle, but if you are going to mix it up, then mix in the longer handle, too! If you've only had the shorter handles, then you owe it to yourself to try at least one long handle. I'm a fan, what can I say?

This bad boy boar has become almost as soft as my silver tip, but is larger diameter, longer loft and great backbone with very little scritch. I call both of the Pros lather cannons.

Enjoy your new brush, dude! ... and try the 10098 some day.

Welcome to The Den!