ABOVE THE TIE "M2" anyone ??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by italian-class, Feb 1, 2017.

1. italian-class

italian-class New Member

How aggressive is this razor?
    Can i get a close shave with it?
    I need something that can get a closer shave than my Muhle R89 which is too mild.
    Any help?

Primotenore likes this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

You can get a close shave with it, but it is no more aggressive than the R89/DE89. I didn't much like the tiny blade stop posts and sold mine last year.

Rather than looking for a different razor, I would work on technique. In the beginning, I thought I needed an uber aggressive razor to get a good shave. It turns out, i just needed to refine my technique. Making a really good slick lather is a great start.

3. italian-class

italian-class New Member

Hi,
    Many thanks for the reply!
    I tried a lot with the R89 but i was never able to get a really close shave...
    I get a very good lather with Mitchell Wool Fat and i believe is not anymore uniquely a technique issue..
    I hope it won't be same as that one!
    With the R41 i get some wonderful results but just cannot use it as a daily razor because it requires more time..
    I have very thick hair and i got the feeling that open combs should work better for me..

4. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

You could try the Parker 24c/26c as they are definitely more efficient than the R89. They're also significantly cheaper than Above The Tie but if you really want something made from stainless steel you'd probably be better off with the ATT R2.

5. italian-class

italian-class New Member

Thanks for the advise !

6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Sure...just about any razor is more aggressive than that, lol. It leaves a lot of options out there. If you are looking for a classy modern razor...the blackand blackbird us my go-to. It looks gorgeous too. You can always try an adjustable, which will let you experiment. If you want to go all out aggressive...opt for the muhle r41

7. italian-class

italian-class New Member

Thanks for the reply!
    I have already a R41 which i love it but i tend to use it over the week end as it is too aggressive for a daily use (requires more time and attention..), i am looking for something between the two razors.
    I am not familiar with the Blackbird but looks interesting..
    I just read so many good things about ATT ..

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Take the time and search the "blackland Blackbird razor owners club" thread

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/blackland-blackbird-brotherhood-bbb.48627/page-46#post-1158257

It has beautiful pics and info. I think that it is your future razor.

9. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

The R41 is the pinnacle of aggression. Harness it and it will set you free (if your skin allows it :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

10. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Why not just get an adjustable? In fact, there is a great looking Fatboy in the TSD Raffle... $5 may just buy the answer you are looking for?

PS. The Blackbird is a real beauty, but you can't buy one. All sold out.

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I use an M2 OC. Very easy to get a BBS. However, I am of the opinion, that with the correct technique, a BBS shave is achievable with most every razor. I had an R89. Pop in a sharp, smooth blade...voilĂ , BBS.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I concur. Time required to do so being a huge factor.

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have the M1 and truly enjoy it. I can get a great shave with pretty much any razor, only your face and technique will tell your results.

14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I had ordered two razors, Scotch & Stowe, just for the stainless handles long ago. But I did try the head from one of them, a DE89 clone, and it was pretty mild so I just left it in my spare parts drawer. I forgot which blade I used in it, but recently went back to it on a heavy handle and used a Personna Lab Blue blade. Now I am getting better shaves from it and I'm sure the combination of Lab Blue blades and the heavy handle is what made them better. Maybe a change to sharper blades and/or heavy handle could help. Just a thought.

15. italian-class

italian-class New Member

Thanks everyone for the great feedbacks and recommendations !
    I finally ordered the ATLAS M2 from ATT and arrived today..:D
    The razor looks really nice, looking forward to try it tomorrow.
    I'll review it after a few shaves.

16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

17. italian-class

italian-class New Member