Ace Shaving?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Joelio, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

ive seen some posts talking about Ace Shaving knots ordered from China. I've got yet another vintage brush I'm working on and would like to find a Silvertip I can set in it. The biggest issue I have is that the current knot measures at 30mm! This thing is a BEAST!

The upper part of the knot seems like it would melt pretty easily, so I don't want to try to widen the hole. That being said, I've been told a good rule of thumb is to get a knot that is about 1mm smaller than the opening for a better fit.

All of this to say that I found that Ace Shaving has a 29mm Silvertip for $29.99 on eBay. Is 29mm cutting it too close on a 30mm hole? And how many of you recommend Ace Shaving knots?

Thanks!!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg

theFAT98 likes this.
  3. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

dont know anything about the knot but you should be good with the 29mm knot...the one made is a 20mm knot but i didnt have a 20mm bit so its closer to 21.5mm and i have no concern about it being to big

4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

If your going to buy direct I would try Virginia Sheng at http://www.aliexpress.com/ .

I would think that 29 is cutting it very close. 28 mm would be close in my opinion.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Check out http://whippeddog.com/ talk to Larry e has great information and outstanding knots.

6. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I've used Larry before ( I have a couple of his knots) but a) silvertips are out of stock and B) he doesn't have 29mm knots, only 30mm

7. j-mt

j-mt New Member

Ron (the owner of Chiseled Face) really likes his Ace Shaving brush. To add, I've ordered from Virginia's eBay store. Her stuff isn't exceptional, but it's priced well for what it is.

I'd go with a 28mm knot to ensure it fits. They've been known to very on higher end knots as much as 0.5mm. On a value knot, it could be closer to 1mm.