Adding aftershave to soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by barbersurgeon, Sep 24, 2015.

1. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Anyone else add aftershave to the top surface of a soap before lathering? I've done it a few times, sometimes the night before sometimes while I'm showering. Turns Williams into bay rum nicely... Think I'll do it again tomorrow!

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Maybe I used the wrong a/s but when I've tried it, I never got much scent out of it...the scent got lost, even with unscented soaps.

Dzia Dzia and Weeper Warrior like this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have added A/S to VDH before with some success. Gorgo is right about the type of A/S used, I made one with Avon Tribute and it just smelled like alcohol, but I made another one with Old Spice and it was ok. Essential Oil is the best or fragrance oil as far as potency goes. It doesn't hurt to experiment, just be careful not to add too much or it may effect the performance of the soap.

Dzia Dzia and Weeper Warrior like this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I'll heard that adding aftershave can make the soap explode. ;) And that ain't no lye.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've done it, only I added it to the bowl, not the top of the puck.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I've done it many times and usually with VDH Luxury unscented. I've also added small amounts of A/S or cologne to unscented body wash and unscented lotion.

8. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I haven't tried aftershave, but essential oils work quite well. A drop or two on top of the puck will make a startling difference. Be advised that it is better to have less -- two drops maximum to start. Also be advised that certain essential oils can cause a skin reaction in some folks. I think that the alcohol in aftershave might cause some problems with the soap, but I have no data on the subject.

Experiment away and post your results -- I'm sure I'd like to hear more on this question.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good point.
    See ---> http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/research-is-important.19316/

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  10. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

:rofl: I hope the ATF doesn't come confiscate my soap and fragrance acquisitions!!! :angry021::happy097::happy102:

11. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've tried it with Arko before and nothing seems to get over on the Arko scent. Not that I'm complaining. Mine just smells like Ivory soap so I just live with it now.