Adding essential or fragrance oil to glycerin soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Dewaine, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

I have never added a fragrance to glycerin soap, so I really have no basis of estimating quantity. I am thinking of adding some EO or fragrance oil to VDH Deluxe, and don't have a clue about how much to add.

If I were to buy a bottle of sandalwood or vetiver oil to add to a single melted puck of VDH, would it be a matter of a few drops, or would the amount needed be closer to a teaspoon? I am thinking/estimating that about 5 to 10 drops of an oil would be sufficient for a puck. Does this sound about right?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I just add two drops to the lather bowl, load up the brush from the soap that is in it's own bowl, or drop in a few dollops of cream, and whip it all together. As for how much to add for a whole puck, I have no idea.

3. Dewaine

Is that essential oil you are adding, or aftershave or cologne? I ask because a drop of oil directly in a lathering bowl would be EXTREMELY strong!!

4. swarden43

Woodstock EO from Em's Place. Once you get all the soap mixed it, it calms down. Three drops were WAY too much, one was just a tad weaker than I wanted. So two it is.

5. Dewaine

Thanks for the information, swarden!!
    :signs021

6. swarden43

Call me Steve.

My pleasure. Hope you find a formula that works for you.

7. AxelH

AxelH New Member

I added an estimated 15-20 drops of essential oil of pine to a single puck of VDH deluxe early on. Worked well. It probably depends on the oil and its strength. I re-melted it twice and no problems.