Adding Glycerin to Aftershave

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Tiredricefarmer, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Is the shiznit. I love how moisturizing it makes my face feel. It's like it reverses the drying out feeling from the aftershave without weakening the scent. I've even noticed my skin looking better with a few less wrinkles, and it seems to help soothe any irritated spots after shaving. Awesome stuff! Many thanks to @swarden43 for suggesting I try this. From this day on I'll never be without it! :happy088:

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've been doing this for years, and have been preaching about it here, since I joined. I'm glad you started.

3. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

same here.some a/s it helps tremendously.some already have moisturizing agents in them.you can also use castor oil etc.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Pink cushions on the John Deere next?

Hembree and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Pink is for Farmall. Possibly Allis Chalmers, but only after Labor Day.

CarlfromMO and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  7. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Hey, if that cushion keeps me from getting hemorrhoids I could care less what color it is! :taunt002:

BigMark83 and brit like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have try adding glycerin yet, but man I do love adding some M-BOMB

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Egggggzacally.

brit and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I agree. I have been adding Glycerin to my aftershaves for the last couple of year. It really works for me.

Hairy Alaskan likes this.
  11. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Resurrecting.

Is vegetable glycerin - like from the health food store - the right kind? And how much? Are we taking drops, or oz? To a 100ml bottle for example?

Also, with TSD shop closed, what is the best M Bomb substitute? Pulverized crystals? I’ve seen menthol oils on Amazon, that seem like they’d be easy - add a drop, etc.

I want to experiment, but the right way. Looking for advice!

RyX and brit like this.
  12. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

The glycerin I buy comes from a beauty supply store,it is vegetable.Most people start at 10-12 drops to 4 oz of a/s.I usually just place 3-4 drops on the palm of my hand and then add the a/s and rub my hands together briskly and massage into my face and beard.If I decide to use the a/s as a hair tonic I'll add 8-10 drops to the palmful of a/s and rub it briskly through my hair in addition to the face and beard.It will give your hair some light hold and little gloss.Too much glycerin can leave your skin tacky feeling.

brit, RyX, NTR and 1 other person like this.
  13. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

I’ve been adding a few drops to lather bowl or brush. With great results ....

Now AS

I’ve been moisturizing after After shave anyway. But I’ll try it.

Does glycerine stay in solution/ mixed in AS or do you now have to shake every use?

brit and RyX like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I add 2-3 drops per oz of aftershave. I shake the aftershave before using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit and RyX like this.
  15. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

John Deere tractors are painted green so they can hide in the weeds as the red ones go by.
    Collecting tractors is like eating watermelon, you keep the red and throw away the green.
    If it ain't red it stays in the shed.

brit likes this.
  16. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Ok, cool on the Glyce, thanks guys!

Now what about the menthol? Anyone making M Bomb these days? I guess the main question, re: crystals: can you just mix in the crystals (pulverized or not), or do do need to add alcohol? I’ve seen reference to melting in alcohol, etc. so the crystals can dissolve, but I’ve heard people say they just throw it in.

RyX likes this.
  17. Leclec13

what do these crystals look like? where from? i've used M oils.....

18. Leclec13

so the glycerin does not stay in solution?

clint64 likes this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I’ve never really looked. I’ve always shaken the aftershave before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

The crystals can be bought from Amazon, but I’m trying to find a local source. I’ve seen menthol oil as well, but is it the same thing? Are all menthols drafted equal?

I want something genuine that’s easy to use and not expensive.

Leclec13 and clint64 like this.