Adhesive advice...

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Primotenore, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    After my shave yesterday, I cleaned my dubl duck brush and when I was flicking out the excess water, this happened:

IMG_9512.jpeg

IMG_9513.jpeg

It should be noted that the knot is still quite secure in the ferrule, itself. I just need to reattach the handle. There's not a lot of space, as you can see.

May I ask for suggestions as how to best put this back together?
    Thanks.

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Epoxy will work. IMG_9283.jpg
    It looks like you have plenty of surface to work with. Around the wood of the ferrule put some all around, it doesnt have to be thick. Second a little bit around the rim of the handle.

You can use this stuff

2C658357-67EE-4BED-BFCA-F474BD3C656A.jpeg
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've used Marine epoxy, but that's rather permanent. Clear silicone will work and also make it easier to disassemble should you desire to change the knot.

4. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I can't see Jorvaljr's attachment (but other images appearing fine)...

I've used this on the recommendation of several here at TSD for knot replacements. I wouldn't hesitate to try it in your Dubl Duck application either. Just be sure to clean up all the old residues, and let it dry thoroughly before proceeding.

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 10.20.25 AM.png

5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Guess it depends on what you want. If the brush will stay with the same knot, use epoxy. If you think you might re-knot it at a later date, use a good brand of silicone, like the one @b1hart mentioned.

6. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    +1 on jb weld...

7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It's the one I prefer.

8. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I will post pictures after the repair.

brit likes this.
  9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I would try some clear waterproof silicone first. My only concern is that you're really gluing the ferrule back on, not just the knot, so you might want something more permanent than silicone. But it's easy enough to use epoxy instead if the silicone doesn't work out the way you planned.

10. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I would not use epoxy if you ever want to take it apart again. My vote would be for clear silicon caulk first, and then Cyanoacrylate if the fit is tight.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

JB weld works well on repairs. I use a little alcohol to wipe any excess epoxy that needs removal & seems to work well also. The JB weld epoxy is dark in color. Silicon would also work well but not as strong as JB weld Marine.

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Sorry I'm late. This has always worked for me. If you don't use to much you can easily remove the knot when it is time to replace it.

DAP Adhesive 100% Silicone.jpg

13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Fixed!
    Thank you everyone. I went with the Gorilla Sealant. I am also gripping the brush with the ferule, rather than the lower handle. There's too much torque on what is a VERY small section of glued plastic.

14. Primotenore

Article Team
    Repaired dubl duck #4
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. I went with the Gorilla Sealant and even though
    there was precious little "area" to apply the silicon, it set and is holding well.
    I have altered the manner in which I grip this brush.

Rather than in the bend of the handle, I grip the brush higher up, directly around the red ferrule.
    This reduces the torque on the seam immensely.

[​IMG]

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©