Adjustable tips?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by whiskerlips, Aug 21, 2008.

1. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I've looked through different threads but I was still wondering if I can get a few additional tips. Up to this point I've been using a 38C, 39C, and occasionally a lady gillette. I've got my first adjustable (Mer-gress) on the way and wanted to see what tips there might be from the forum. Such as, on my tricky areas on the neck, is it best to go mild on all passes, or maybe two mild passes then dial it up for atg?

2. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I think Mantic did a video on the Progress with some tips on how to use it, I don't recall the details but it's out there on his youtube channel. I'm sure someone will find a link and post that.

My advice would be to try not to change your settings all the time and get too complicated with it. My biggest gripe with adjustables is I spent too much time tinkering with them and never getting what I was looking for. Now I only use fixed head Merkurs (or straights).

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I would agree. Start with an extremely low number, work your way up untill you are comfortable and getting the desired shave, and than leave it.

4. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I usually do two passes both WTG with my adjustables as I'm not usually looking for a BBS shave. I mainly use a Gillette Slim on a mid setting and then dial it up for a second pass then dial it back down to touch up my upper cheeks and lower neck. The Merkur is a bit more aggressive than the Slim so take that into account.

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I would say every number on a Progress is like 2 on a Gillette. Don't hesitate to dial to the space between numbers.

6. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Do you mean the gap range is small on a progress compared to most gillettes?

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

8. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Oops, I get it now. Hee hee hee. Nevermind.

9. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Oh, and thanks for the mantic vid post. Though I have watched it several times. I was just wondering if anyone really changes the aggresiveness during the shave. I'm guessing not. Looks like a few more weeks till it gets here. This is torture.

10. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Dial "9", BABY !!

:pot

11. JayKay

Just ask ron popeil! Set it and forget it!

12. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I do. :ashamed001

--Mark

13. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Why have an adjustable if you're not going to adjust?

14. davis749

davis749 New Member

I picked up my first DE razor a few weeks ago - a 1965 Q2 slim adjustable. I am currently using Personnas (a sampler pack from WC shaving is in the mail). My technique so far has been WTG one time at a setting 3 followed once ATG at a setting 2 :cool:

15. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I only adjust when I change blade brands. Different brands work better at different settings. But I don't adjust during the shave- it just causes problems in my experience.

16. JayKay

The whole idea of an adjustable was so every buyer could feel like they had their own personal razor for their type of head. Same idea as the red, blue, and black tipped SSs for different hair types. You set your own blade angle so the razor is uniquely yours. I'm sure it helped sell razors.

17. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

What do you do? Start mild and dial up? Use mild in some areas, and dial up in others? I'm curious. Seems like this might be the answer to my tricky neck areas.

A razor that can adapt itself to my skin and stubble. That's what I'm hoping for/afraid of. When I first got my slant I felt bad for my 38C. I loved my 38C, it was my first DE. I held onto it for a while. But after a few months, I gave her away. Now it's just the slant. I'm wondering, when the mergress get here, will I keep the slant around? It's like putting a trusty old dog down. :sad024

18. JayKay

I think you'll keep the slant around. Its a different shave. The first razor I bought was a merkur HD and its still one of my favorite razors. I gave away my Slim and keep my fatboy on 5 all the time. Every razor has its place and the blades that work well with it. The slants a work horse. Keep her around.

19. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Yes, my first pass is always at a low setting (about 2-2.5 on my Progress, YMMV). Then I bump it up to 3-3.5 on successive passes. back down to 2.5-3 for T&C.

--Mark

20. DanOK

DanOK Member

Each of us use a somewhat different style with a adjustable and you have to find the best approach by trail and error at times. My primary razors are a Futur and Slim Adjustable. Both require a big difference in angle and shave technique. With both I start high and dial down as as my shave progress's in most cases. As an example with a Derby blade in my Futur I start at 3.5 with my fist WTG pass and end at 2 with my final pass XTG. With a Wilkerson in the same razor I set it at about 2.75 and leave it there for the entire shave.

I have found this works best for me when using a Futur. The setting I use are different for both my slim adjustable's and my fatboy's. But I generally start high and dial down. Is this right for you, I don't know, but if you have problems areas, such as your neck, I believe that an adjustable is the right choice.