Adjustable vs. nonadjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by scku, Dec 13, 2007.

1. scku

scku New Member

Hello there!

Should I purchase an adjustable safety razor (such as the Merkur Progress) or a non-adjustable (such as Merkur HD “hefty classic”) as my FIRST DE safety razor? I am tempted to think that the adjustable might be better given the ability to be adjusted to a ‘less aggressive’ setting while I’m learning. Do you recommend an adjustable or a nonadjustable for a beginner? Why? Any particular models? (preferable new safety razor not a vintage (pre-owned) model.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I think either would be fine to be honest. I think however most of us started with non-adjustable.

Just a word about vintage though, one of the BEST Adjustable is a Gillette Fat Boy which has not been made in years. You shouldn't count out vintage since you can find some amazing conditions and deals.

3. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I agree! You can find NOS (New Old Stock) items @ ebay!

4. Sir Critic

Sir Critic Member

Let me be the first to welcome you to TSD (a.k.a. The Shave Den)

Now to your question. I too am a newbie and I only have experience with one razor, a non-adjustable. Therefor I can't really give you much advice, I hope others with lots of razor experience will chime in here but I do say - keep it simple (i.e. non-adjustable).

5. Will

Will Nevermind

Start with Non Adjustable, hone your technique then play around with new toys.

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Back when I shaved with DE's I started with adjustables. Either way you should be ok. But I'll say this all of my DE's are vintage i.e. Gillettes and I put them up against any new model on the market today. I prefer a Gillette any day and twice on Sundays.

Raf

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have had experience with both and I agree with Sejanus that it makes little difference. The only difference that I have seen in my humble opinion is that the adjustables you need to start on one when you put a new blade in the razor. Do not make the same bloody mistake that I did putting a new blade in and starting of four or five with that new blade. Also peronally I do not care much for Merkurs, I think that you would enjoy a vintage Gillette much better than a Merkur. If you agree the best thing to do would be to advertise for a Gillette adjustable in the classified section.

Also welcome to the shave den.

8. Sir Critic

Sir Critic Member

I forgot to add that before you purchases anything you should (if you haven't already) ....
    a) read a Guide to Gourmet Shaving
    b) and watch Mantic's Videos.

And then when you start buying supplies be sure to
    a) check out The Shave Den Store
    b) and buy a sample blade pack like those found here.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with the above mention retailers beside being a happy customer (i.e. I don't get any kickbacks:D).

9. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I really hate to admit it........

He's

........................................right.

10. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

INMHO adjustable is in the wrist. It all takes practice. I just had a BBS with a Wapi (no numbers there).

Issy

11. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I think a non-adjustable is a bit more preferable to a adjustable model. At least in my humble opinion. I do not believe that one would need to raise the setting of the adjustable over one, which is equal to the permanent setting on then non- adjustable.

As far as your interest in the Merkurs go, I have had both a vintage (as you put it a pre-owned) and Merkurs and I prefer the vintage gillettes. Personally I think that the vintage gillettes are better constructed than the Merkur's are, but this is just my humble opinion from a guy with a very similar type of beard that you have.

12. Tommynick

Tommynick Well-Known Member

I would start with a non adjustable. Most recommend the Merkur HD. I started with this razor and then added a Gillette Tech to the mix. AS my technique improved I added the adjustables and the slant. You want to focus on technique both with the blade angle plus your prep and lathering technique. You have many variables to concentrate on at the beginning ( Blade angle, soap or cream, lathering technique, pre shave routine, adding passes). Once you get these down then by all means get an adjustable and play with the settings.

Tom

Welcome to the Forum.

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I started out with a Merkur Futur (Adjustable). Nice razor but with hindsight, I should have started out with the Merkur HD Classic or a Gillette Tech and worked my way. Not to say an adjustable is bad. Merkur Progress or Gillette Fat Boy are good to start with but keep it simple and work your way up.

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :confused: I may be wrong but I don't think that is correct.

For one thing different razors have different blade exposure. Don't they?

Anyone confirm or deny this?

15. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Bingo Jo. Not only that, some razors of the same model have slight variations.. and some razors have different blade exposures on each SIDE of the razor. They shouldn't in theory.. but they do.

16. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I would start with a Merkur HD.. And add an adjustable later - for fun.. Id go for a Merkur any day of the weak.. One very undervalued non-adjustable Merkur is the 23C (aka Long Handled Classic).. Me for one dont think you get as good shaves from an vintage Gillette as you get from a Merkur.. But thats me..

As far as comparing 1 on an adjustable to a fixed head Id say is wrong - kind of general consensus is that a fixed head Merkur is equal to around 4-5 on an adjustable Gillette.. Or around 3 on a Merkur Progress..

17. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

This statement is incorrect. The setting of 1 in a adjustable is not equal to a fixed blade razor . There are many different head designs and head geometries that make for different blade exposure even within the same model of razor. As a matter of fact Gillette recommended that a setting of 3 be used as a starting point on their adjustable. To this date that is still the recommended setting for a first time user. To say that a Fatboy set on one is the same as a Merkur Slant or a SS Red Tip is disseminating incorrect information that could result in injury to a newbie.

Raf

18. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Ok JoAnna I have no trouble being wrong, I will accept the fact that I am not correct. However, I personally think that the Gillette Super Speed to be a little bit superior for a starter razor to a heavy duty. Every time I talk to people about their favorite razor the Super Speed seems to barely edge out the heavy duty, by like .5% of the vote. I think that the super speed is a better starter razor then a heavy duty, but this is just my opinion.

Again, I want to emphasize that this is just my opinion.

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :confused: What? :confused:

What does one have to do with the other? :confused:

20. mercV12

mercV12 Member

I started out with a Gillette Superspeed and then tried a Schick Injector and have since "advanced" to a Merkur Progress and a Merkur Futur. You can get a good Superspeed for around $10. If I were you I'd start with a Tech or a Superspeed, then if you find wet shaving is not for you, you don't have a fortune invested in it. Enjoy every step of your new journey!!

Larry

Attached Files: