Adventures in Cutting my Throat vol. 1

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Will, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

Nice title huh, thought of it all by myself. :rofl

So tonight was my first SER shave, this is what happened.

Fist I just heated my face up with hot water for a bit, lathered normally and stropped away, I think I did ok……………………..but.

I then started shaving (anyone remember this episode of the Simpson’s?) AHH QUIT IT?

I thought wrong angle so adjust AHH QUIT IT, still wrong so adjust AHH QUIT IT.

Oh this sucks, hummmmmmmmm maybe I am holding it wrong, let me try this way AHH QUIT IT, nope not it, how about this AHH QUIT IT.

Just quit Will, "not yet brain there is something I can do". I know wash my face off, relather and restrop maybe the razor is not sharp enough.

BINGO!

After that smooth sailing, 2 pass (N-S, S-N) only 1 nick, not BBS but I got a better shave then the losers on M3 Street. :D

The hard parts, Chin and upper lip, any tips?

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Glad to hear you figured it out, Will! ::

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Hallelujah! He lived! :D

Stropping is an acquired skill. Just remember to keep the edge and the spine on the strop at the same time, roll the blade over on its back at the end of each pass, and go slow. (BTW, face prep with a hot towel/washcloth helps, too.)

As for upper lip/chin, those are the hardest parts. But I'll have to let the other str8 guys chime in here, because I keep a moustache/goatee so I don't have to worry about that part. ;)

Glad your first time turned out okay.

4. Will

Will Nevermind

1. Whoops! :o
    2. Dose not do much for me.

5. xChris

xChris Member

Which blade did you use -- just curious?

For the chin, take smaller strokes to clear it. This allows you to readjust to a proper/optimum angle of cut as you go down toward the next. For the upper lip, you need to use the coup de maître technique.

Here's a couple of experts' opinions as well--

6. Slick & Smooth

Slick & Smooth New Member

If you don't know about the basic techniques already you might find some excellent tips in here. This is a guide written by Chris Moss (the link is from Shave My Face by the way). It contains some truly brilliant tips on what to do and what not to do. For my upper lip I use a masters pass on the first pass, just put the razor under the nose at a 80 degree angle and the rotate it towards the upper lip ending at at 30 degree angle. This is not an easy move so you might want to be carefull here. On the second pass XTG i just use the point of the razor to shave from left to right using short strokes because of the changing angle of skin near the filtrum. On the third pass upwards I use an oblique upwards short stroke. Some also use the master pass but then from bottom to top. I dislike that because the risk of cutting you nose is larger. (at least it is when you have my motorics).
    For the chin I just shave down with short strokes much like when I shave my cheeks. XTG from left to right is fairly easy. I just start with the ball part of the chin and then the part just beneath the lower lip. The ball part of the chin I shave just like when peeling the skin of an orange or something only this time I leave the skin on (at least that is the point). Upwards I again use an oblique stroke in this area. For the left side of my face from left to right upwards and for the right side of my face from right to slightly left upwards.
    And remember to keep your skin really taut at all times. That makes it less easy for the razor to dig itself in.

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

For the upper lip i usually use the very tip of the razor. I do have a square point though. Im able to manuever around pretty easily. I find if you try to go in there with the whole blade your asking for trouble.

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

and dont forget to stretch the skin as you shave. This will help you get closer smoother shaves. There is a learning curve so take it easy and dont rush it. Short strokes around the lips and chin. These are the toughest areas to get when you are learning so just go slow but deliberate. Keep a recent photo of you around for the surgeon just in case:D Welcome to the club.

Raf

9. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Upper lip: 1st pass WTG. 2nd pass: I go in XTG holding the blade basically vertical (See Dr. Moss's guide) 3rd pass: modified ATG in that I go against but at an angle (don't try this until you've gotten completely comfortable with the razor)

Chin: 1st pass with the grain, 2nd pass goes across from left to center and from right to center (this takes 99% of the hair and I can usually stop here). If I want an even smoother shave, my 3rd pass is ATG but with a very flat blade and also angled a little (blade not parallel to the floor but on a diagonal) and a very light touch.

Leave the ATG's until your comfortable with everything else.

Besides that, great job!! Any first SER shave you can walk away from is a success :D

10. Will

Will Nevermind

Vol 2

[​IMG]

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

That's supposed to scare me? :eek:

13. xChris

xChris Member

Will,

Which razor are you using? Is the blade gliding over your skin, or is it getting stalled, then sliding & cutting into your face? Are you going WTG only? Got any irritation?

14. Will

Will Nevermind

The fancy one.

Stallling a bit

WTG only.

No Irritation.

15. xChris

xChris Member

OK -- that sounds pretty decent. If it's stalling, then I have two suggestions:
    1. You may have to steep an angle, and the blade is sticking a little to your face. So, try opening it up just a hair more to see if that helps.
    2. You may not be stretching enough, or may be moving too slow. STretch the skin, and use "confident" strokes.

When you move to the W&B "Diamond Edge" razor, it will be very different from the full-hollow ESPE. I liken wedge straights versus full-hollow straights to how a GEM razor feels to a regular DE razor user.

Keep at it, you're doing great!

16. Will

Will Nevermind

No dude, I am telling you I look like SCARFACE, as in I have scars on my face.

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

That bad huh?

At least you don't look like this guy. :D

ScarFace.jpg

18. Will

Will Nevermind

Round 3

I shave better then this guy! :rofl:rofl:rofl

[​IMG]

I even have my way of doing it

N-S on cheeks
    S-N on neck
    E-W on Jawline

DE on The Goat.

They call me Mr. Glass. :happy108

I know I was going to do a DE shave but well like what old Ajax would say.........Ahhh F it.

Not even a nick, wheeper, cut, NADA, ZIP, ZILTCH, NIL!

(I am not making fun of CG, he likes to pick on us shavegeeks so I like to pick on him for BEING a shavegeek. :D)

19. xChris

xChris Member

So, is the wedge performing better for you? Any change in your technique (stropping or shaving) since starting -- besides the comments on direction?

20. Will

Will Nevermind

No change, the wedge is better. ;)