Adventures of the Bunny in Europe: European pass-around of the Bunny V3

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by macaronus, Feb 21, 2016.

1. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

The customs have had their fun and have sent the Bunny onwards!

:happy093:

Can't wait!

2. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Yay - finally :cool: :happy088:

Billyfergie, Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

bee-doh02k.gif

Touchdown! The Bunny has landed!

SHE. IS. A. DOOZY!

oooh.gif

BUNNY.jpg

bautiful.gif

More (& better) pics to come! I first had to yell a bit! :happy108:

4. Tjebbe

Tjebbe Well-Known Member

5. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

BeShaved, macaronus and Karl G like this.
  6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

7. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Inaugural shave with the Bunny V3

First impressions:
    Beautiful piece of art & machinery combined. Everything looks smooth and clean. Some machining and sanding scratches are visible, but I rather like that you can see this is not a product of a factory but a product of man. The Bunny is a bit smaller than I had imagined, but the size is quite good. As is the weight: 61 grams ( 63 for a Gillette ball end tech and 28 for a Schick L1 ). I quite like the weight and balance of the Bunny. The three combs are easy to replace as the thumb screw works just fine for me! I took out my caliper gauge and measured the length of the combs and found that the difference in length is 0.1 millimeter per comb (so the difference between 'mild' and 'wild' is 0.2 mm).

TheHaul 2016-03-08-01.jpg

TheHaul 2016-03-08-02.jpg

TheHaul 2016-03-08-03.jpg

TheHaul 2016-03-08-04.jpg

TheHaul 2016-03-08-05.jpg

TheHaul 2016-03-08-06.jpg

Without blade loaded
    TheHaul 2016-03-08-07.jpg

With blade loaded
    TheHaul 2016-03-08-08.jpg

*point of small concern:
    The combs can wiggle a tiny bit from left to right. But a tiny bit can mean a lot when shaving. If you use the 'notso' comb, one side of the blade can be on the 'mild' setting, the center 'notso' and the other end 'wild'... All three combs can wiggle about the same amount.

*Point of concern when loading the blade:
    I first loaded a blunt blade. Little effort was needed to get it loaded. But when I retrieved the key, the blade was completely askew in the razor. One end was sticking out. It turns out that when the key is inserted, the blade lies completely loose in the razor. Yes. Loose. Hold the razor to one side and the blade just falls out! :shocked003: I didn't expect that, because in my Schick L1 the blade is stil firmly held in place in the razor when the key is inserted.

The blade still rests on the nock on the left side of the razor, otherwise it would just have fallen out.
    TheHaul 2016-03-08-09.jpg

I view both points of concern as beta testing occurencies. So no biggie for me. When loading a new blade it is only important that I have to be aware of the way I'm holding the razor and I have to take care when removing the key. Since no-one else has reported this, I guess it is a glitch of this Bunny. The probably all have their own character... ;)

The shave
    I was planning to skip a day and shave tomorrow, but I just couldn't wait it out. So I headed to the bathroom and took out:
    • TGN grade A silvertip brush
    • Cella cream
    • The Bunny (duh!) with the 'mild' comb loaded
    • Dutch NOS Schick platinum blade
    SoS 2016-03-08.jpg

But I was too hasty and must have messed up my preparation. :ashamed001: That or I must have had a bad blade. Either way, the razor tugged and tugged. Changing the combs during the shave was easy but didn't help. So the shave was quite rough. But... apart from that the result was great! I'm really smooth now! ;)

I'll be using the same set-up tomorrow, but I'll load a different blade (Personna, probably)

Lessons learnt:
    The Bunny is a beautiful piece of art
    Be alert when reloading this Bunny so the new blade doesn't fall out or loads askew.
    Take time to prepare properly (my bad today!)

Thank you @twhite for making this possible!

BeShaved, Billyfergie, Karl G and 7 others like this.
  9. Robyflexx

Thank you for the review @macaronus (Mike) and for taking the time to post such nice photos. :)

10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thank you for your kind reply!

11. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Mike,
    I had the same experience with blade loading (check my reviews). But the obvious blade slide out you experienced didn't happen to me until I changed my blade after two questionable shaves. Seems my first blade wasn't seated correctly. That's when I made the call to Tom and he posted the video for loading. Seems that the blade had not seated correctly that first time.

The best part of that advice was the slight tilt towards the back of the razor to have gravity help hold the blade to the back of the blade bed while loading. If necessary, a well placed, cautious fingernail helps. Once seated correctly, I had absolutely no tugging...and if you're a regular injector shaver - the feedback becomes much quieter. I had great shaves thereafter.

So based on your rough shave, I'd try changing the blade again (after closely watching the video) and see if that helps.
    Best,
    RT

BeShaved, Billyfergie, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thank you for your advice, Rufus! I was already planning to check Tom's video again. With my Schick L1 I never experienced a problem when loading a new blade, nor with the Schick G (if I remember correctly) I had some years ago.

BeShaved, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  13. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Great Mike.
    I just took about 4 of the last 5 months learning about injectors. What I needed to remind myself with the Bunny is - it's not a Schick, it's not a Personna, it's not anything any of us have used before. So there will be some quirks associated with it. The loading issue is minor compared to the wonderful experience of a Bunny shave, once the blade is loaded correctly.

Keep on plugging away - it's worth it!
    Cheers!
    RT

14. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

@Rufus T. "What I needed to remind myself with the Bunny is - it's not a Schick, it's not a Personna, it's not anything any of us have used before."

Such an excellent statement. I agree totally and the razor has to be tried and evaluated on its own merits. And it has bucket loads of those. Merits :)

15. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

2nd shave with the Bunny

After tuesday's shave I let the skin come to rest and in consultation with Tom I made a slight change with the main spring which was a bit unevenly bent. Remember it's a Beta razor, so these things can happen. I loaded a Personna blade from Connaughtshaving, had a proper preparation and went at it.

SoS 2016-03-11a.jpg

Taking care to hold the razor at an almost 90 degrees angle and using as light a touch as I could manage I had a far better shave than tuesday. I guess then it was a combination of bad preparation, bad angle and bad blade. This on the other hand was way better. I feel I still have a bit of trouble to find the correct angle, but I'll get there. I felt that it was easy and comfortable to hold the razor in different ways for different angles of attack (up-down, down-up, left-right, right-left etc). I felt though that I needed to be aware of having clean hands to be sure of having a good grip on the handle. I think some knurling on the handle may come in handy. :)

The result after three passes was another BBS shave. The alum still gave a little more than average sting, but way less than with the first shave. :D

Thanks again, @twhite for making such a nice shaver and sending it around the world!

SoS 2016-03-11b.jpg

BeShaved, zec668, Billyfergie and 5 others like this.
  16. Robyflexx

Great write up and super cool photos...I love the last one with the lathered statue! :happy036::signs107:

17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

3rd & 4th shave with the Bunny

The third shave with the Bunny (last Sunday morning) was a copy of the second shave. I must say, the Bunny is in a league of its own. Never had closer shaves than with the Bunny!

Tonight's shave was different in that I loaded a Schick Twin blade in stead of the Personna. The blade(s) felt more solid agains my skin and performed absolutely great! Another BBS shave!

I think I'll have one more shave before I'll ship it to the next in line.

SoS 2016-03-15.jpg

Things I do like so far about the Bunny:
    • looks
    • size & weight
    • performance
    • overall razor quality
    • travel case

Things I would alter on the Bunny:
    • add some knurling on the handle
    • a smaller blade gap (the blade gap looks huge to me)

Thing I don't like about the Bunny:
    • When using the Bunny I can only shave every other day, because there's nothing to shave after the first day :angry017: (so it's in fact a compliment on its effectiveness! ;) )

Other thoughts:
    • the Bunny asks for the lightest touch possible
    • though some users have the greatest shaves every time I still have some razor burn post shave. So I guess for me there is a learning curve.
    • this would be my go-to razor if I really need to be close shaven (important meetings for instance) :angelic013:

Tom, you've really made a stunning razor!

BeShaved, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  18. Robyflexx

Thanks for the great write up Mike, I'm so happy you've enjoyed the Bunny. :)

19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Great review! And you could always shave your one chest hair! :eek:

BeShaved, macaronus, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Or his legs

BeShaved, macaronus, Karl G and 3 others like this.