Advice for a pipe smoking noob?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Tdmsu, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I am thinking about pipe smoking recently. I smoked a little in college, but not for many years.
    My wife likes the scent of sweet pipe tobacco, so she would be more ok with a pipe than cigars.

Where should I start? I looked online, and I don't want to drop $200 right off the bat.
    Thanks for any insights.

2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

You should start by checking out this thread.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/your-pipe-of-the-day.34832/

I'm a novice myself, but there's a lot of good advice in some of these posts and a couple of our members will be able to give you excellent advice. You might even want to repost this in that thread so they are sure to see it.

Tdmsu likes this.
  3. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

I think youll enjoy it, id look for a cheaper pipe just to be sure its something you like...and the best advice i got was to go slow and relax...dont smoke too fast and take it easy....as you read more or try it more and more i think youll see that is sound advice for all things pipe smoking

4. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Clean your pipe often!

Pipes are quite enjoyable. I rarely enjoy a cigar enough to warrant the price tag. And being a cheapskate thrifty individual, the economy of pipe tobacco is a major plus. A small tin can be bought for the price of a cigar or so, but has a score of sessions. Storage is easier with pipe tobacco for me. You don't have to worry about ash throughout your session, and it is less offensive to others.

The real danger of PAD is a consideration, though!

Bama Samurai, Redrock and Tdmsu like this.