Advice on a new safety razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Segafan#1, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Segafan#1

Segafan#1 Well-Known Member

I have only ever shaved with merkur razors.... my two go to razors now are the merkur 37c slant and the merkur 34c ......I also have a merkur futur which I don't care for too much. What is a good razor I should look for? It's time for me to adventure beyond merkur.

preidy, AGHisBBS, BeShaved and 2 others like this.
  2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Have you thought about the vintage razors? They are lots of fun and shave superbly. :)

TheManWithNoName, AGHisBBS and Jim99 like this.
  3. Segafan#1

Segafan#1 Well-Known Member

I actually do have a old Gillette from like 1930 .....just have never used it lol

Attached Files:

4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

That new type should be a fine razor!

5. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

If that's a New OC use it please. It's become one of my favorites. They are fantastic shavers and fun to use. :)

Redfisher, AGHisBBS and Jim99 like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It looks like a New Long comb. Try it out and you're going to love that razor!

Redfisher, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  7. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Adjustable razors are my favorites. The Gillette Fat Boy is considered one of the bests adjustables. The Merkurs Progress my favorite razor is the other, it has a wide range of settings, it can be set more radical than a vintage Gillette and the angle is very easy to find.
    Have fun.

Ceferguson, AGHisBBS, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  8. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Looking at the items in the background...you have a nice assortment of gear Greg. That vintage gillette is begging to be put to good use.

Robyflexx, AGHisBBS and Jim99 like this.
  9. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I add a dissenting opinion just so this forum doesn't get labeled "vintage only". Check out Ikon. I love my Ikon Shavecraft Tech.

Robyflexx and TheManWithNoName like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I agree. Some of us don't need the competition on eBay :innocent

11. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have both those fine razors & still use in my rotation but I'm an advocate of the vintage. Have you considered a Super Speed or better yet a Red Tip which would be similar in agressiveness to your 34C.

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Vintage Adjustables. Either a Gillette Fat Boy, or Slim Adjustable. That way you can play with settings and find what you like. Bonus, they are both fantastic razors.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I support fat boy suggestion I find it the smoothest of the Gillette adjustable so

14. There are plenty of vintage and new produced razors on the market. Part of the fun of this hobby, I think is just trying different ones. There is almost endless possibilities out there. The only limitations is, of course, cost. My favorite razor is a 76 gillette adjustable I pick up for 4 dollars.

15. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

There are some good stainless steel options as well. Above The Tie, Wolfman, Blackland Blackbird. I have not tried the Blackbird, but it is getting good reviews. ATT and Wolfman are excellent shavers.

16. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Since I discovered the Gillette black beauty gold adjustable I just can't pick up anything else[​IMG]

17. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

Good call, Roby. I have a 1959 Gillette Ball Tech, and I have to say that I get a great shave from it. I'm sure there are some great modern DE razors, but I don't have any at the moment that I can compare my experience to, so my comment here is based on extremely limited experience. I do, however, plan on adding some modern DE razors to my collection when I can afford to do so.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  18. gregkw1

I have bought a few modern razors my priority was to try and find the mildest shavers I could find but since buying a Gillette super adjustable black beauty my search for the perfect razor is over[​IMG]

AGHisBBS and TheManWithNoName like this.
  19. gregkw1

Oh and one more thing the man with no name had a name in the movie where he painted the town red his name was Jim Duncan it was the name on the grave stone at the very end he was coming back to that town to revenge his father's death he was the junior Jim Duncan Jr

AGHisBBS and TheManWithNoName like this.
  20. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

I love my New Long OC – one of the smoothest. Use it, use it, use it! Why not start with what you got, I mean, rather than going straight for the RAD. It's bound to develop and be nurtured anyway.