Advice please: Kent BK4, BK2 or H8

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by AVH, Dec 21, 2009.

1. AVH

AVH Member

Thanks to Fido's tip, I should soon be getting a £50 coupon from Kent.

I'd like to buy a new brush, but I'm torn between the H8 best badger, the BK4 silvertip and the BK2 pure.

I currently own an Omega 33174 pure badger and a TOBS 374S silvertip (which is the same as the Vulfix 374 super).
    I find the Omega too rough and scratchy on my face. The Vulfix is very nice, although it might be a bit floppy. The Vulfix' size is fine; I think that with my rather small face, a larger brush would be overkill.

I usually use creams, but sometimes soap as well. I'm currently a bowl-latherer, but still experimenting with face- and hand-lathering.

So... any advice? Please keep in mind that it has to be a Kent brush.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Personally, I have been looking at the BLK4 but I don't want to spend the extra cash for the exact same handle and knot as a BK4 but black(Which can be had for around $60USD shipped).

*Edit* Duh, just realized you're in Belgium you're probably more fortunate than us here, sigh.

3. sffone

sffone Member

I would go with the silvertip. Over the years, I've found them to be consistently the best for me. However, you're in a win win situation in that they're all good brushes.

4. AVH

AVH Member

Do they sell for different prices in the US?
    The brushes cost exactly the same on their UK website... Funny thing is that they both cost £50 on their site, which currently equals €56 or $80, but if you change the displayed currency, they're asking €77,50 or $125, which is a heck of a lot more!

5. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Go for the H8.The new Kents BK4 and BK8 are pretty floppy and the BK2 is kind of scratchy.The H8 has a good density of hair,soft tips and not floppy at all.Good for both creams and soaps.I have an old BK8 and P8(discontinued) and they have the same kind of hair than the H8(is between best badger and super badger I would say).

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Love my BLK4! The brush I use 95% of the time.

7. Sodapopjones

Ordering from the US Kent suppliers costs about 3 times as much as ordering one directly from the UK.

You can get the BK4 from Auravita.com for around $60USD shipped, depending on the exchange rate at the time. They however don't sell the BLK4 so you're left with other more expensive suppliers, sigh.

8. AVH

AVH Member

I also posted this thread on the Badger and Blade forum, and most people also seem to recommend the BK4.

The H4 is not completely ruled out yet, though.

The BK4 seems very similar to the Vulfix 374, which I already own.
    Going for the BK4 and selling it as new is an option, but I'm not allowed to post in the classifieds-section of this forum yet, since I haven't got enough posts and haven't been a member long enough. And I'm quite sure that I wouldn't be able to resist using the BK4 once I get my hot little hands on it.

The only reason I'm considering the H4 is because it's a grade of hair that I haven't used yet (currently have pure and super).

Why is choosing always so hard?

9. Moe

Moe Active Member

I agree with this, I owned a BK4, ended up selling it after a few uses because I found it to be too floppy. Most of my brushes are pure badger, and are what I use most of the time. The only silver tips that seem to have enough firmness for me are the knots from TGN.

Good luck,

Moe

10. LS48

LS48 New Member

I have thoroughly enjoyed my BK4, Alfons, and found it to be a good performer for soaps and creams. It is very soft on the face, which is good for me because of my sensitive skin and general aversion to skritchy or firm brushes. I also believe that when it is described as floppy, one needs to keep in mind that this is a relative and subjective term. I find it very soft and flexible, but not floppy. Since it does have a nicely wide bloom, if pushed hard it will splay a good bit. But if it is used in a milder manner, it certainly has enough backbone to whip up lather with anything.

11. Queen of Blades

:sihns011

12. AVH

AVH Member

Ok guys thank you all for your replies; they're much appreciated!

I'll go for the B(L)K4, still trying to decide which color to get :rolleyes: (and currently still waiting for my coupon, which will hopefully arrive soon)

I'll let you know what I think of it!

13. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Floppy is floppy my friend.Flexible and soft as you describe it is floppy,but some folks like it like that way and others prefer a firmer backbone (like me).

14. Queen of Blades

This is floppy.
    bunny.jpg

A BLK4 is not floppy. :rolleyes:

15. Sodapopjones

Each and every person's opinion differs, however the fact the BK/BLK4 can lather a hard soap just fine speaks for itself.

Like I said, you're more fortunate than we American's, if I were you I would buy the BLK4, even if you dislike it, you could sell it for way more than its worth due to exchange rates.

16. LS48

LS48 New Member

Not to belabor the point, Teiste, but absolute perspectives, such as "floppy is floppy", are rare on the wet shaving forums. There may be some basic agreement what constitutes the term, but my description and take on the BK4 hardly characterizes this brush that way.

Cheers,
    Larry

17. AVH

AVH Member

Thanks for the tip, I went for the BLK4! They're probably not shipping it before January, so I'll try and be patient. Very hard. Very very hard not to get overexcited.

18. Sodapopjones

Nice choice!

I know the feeling, I want to order a brush but I know it won't get here for a while.

19. Teiste

Teiste New Member

in what forums are you in?In all the forums that Im in the "basic agreement" is that actual Kents and E&Js are floppy,specially E&Js.I have an old BK8 and old P8 and when I had the chance to try the new BK8 I was so surprise about how FLOPPY it was.But many people like that cuz sensitive skin,perform better with creams and so on.Thats the good thing about this,that we have variety.
    And by the way "Queen",that pic is a rabbit..didnt know that you can call rabbits floppys in english.Thanks for explaining to me.

20. Queen of Blades

The rabbits ears are floppy. :rolleyes: